Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Serf

Default Re: Cracks!! Are yours this bad??

1:1:3:1-lime, fireclay, portland, 3 parts sand
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Soak the crack area, patch up with very wet mortar, and carry on.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Apprentice

This baby goes up one side and down the other. It happened after I insulated the oven so I left it alone. The smoking gun in my case is is the off bond brick pattern.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Cracks!! Are yours this bad??-crackclose2.jpg  

Last edited by DaveW; 03-23-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Journeyman

What about putting a layer of Wellbond (construction adhesive) over the whole thing like peterlyn did in the Pompeii in Nanoose Bay build (post #9) .http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...bay-14633.html (Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!)

I know nothing about this at all, I just saw it in the thread and was thinking about it.

Mike
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you patch it from the outside (or inside) it'll likely just crack again during the next heating/cooling cycle. What you have there is a naturally occurring expansion joint

Insulate and start making pizza! You are good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Serf

Thanks for all the replies. I covered yesterday and didn't try to fill, Like ken said its just going to crack again. Now on to enclosure, and figure out how to make pizza dough.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Serf

Aren't you suppose to coat the whole ouside of the Oven with Insulating concrete, then Fire Blanket it,and then Insulating concrete over the Blanket, then stucco(if wanted).
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleyhart@msn.com View Post
Aren't you suppose to coat the whole ouside of the Oven with Insulating concrete, then Fire Blanket it,and then Insulating concrete over the Blanket, then stucco(if wanted).
That's not required. In fact, I don't recall anyone doing it that way. Too much insulation is never a bad thing.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike D - Not sure of any benefit to using Weldbond in this application. Can be used as a bonding/sealing agent on porous concrete or as an additive in concrete. The problem I see is that PVA glues are not very heat resistant. Not sure of what perterlyn's intentions were - bonding or sealing. It would probably help in the bonding of old masonry to new but would probably lose any sealing properties the first time the oven was brought up to temp. Seems like an unnecessary step in this application with little or no benefit, much like the old aluminum foil "slip plane" idea. Of course, I have no experience with using Weldbond in a masonry application, so I may be totally wrong. I've always thought of Weldbond as a craft glue (expensive Elmers).

RT
Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Peasant

I have a similar crack (though not that wide) in the inside of my pompeii 36". I didn't see it until after a few high firings after curing. I freaked out at first, then realized nothing else was happening. Movement must occur with expansion, so don't worry too much about it. There is a good aluminum fireplace mortar on the market for "touch-ups" that comes in a tube and I have used it to heal some crackes in my arch. It may not do much, except give you peace of mind. So far, nothing has collapsed and I am convinced a year later that this dome will outlast me.

Cook away!!

Tom