Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: cracks in vermicrete shell

Hey J,
You know you can throw almost anything in your oven from a single light bulb to a halogen to generate mild heat to help the oven pre-cure before you get to the fires...Cheers
Mark
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You have 2 goals working against themselves. First, cementious mortar needs moisture to cure, second you are trying to remove moisture to cure the oven. Mortar cures on a logarithmic scale, not a linear one. All other things being neutral, the mortar is at better than 50% ultimate strength in 24 hours, and better than 75% in 36. At 28 days it finally reaches 90%+, and in a couple hundred years it may reach ultimate strength, provided there is any moisture available.

Ideally, you would keep the entire oven under water for 7 days, then begin the drying process. In reality, after 48 hours, you can begin drying it out with gusto.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The standard is to keep it moist (wrapped in plastic) for one week. When you get to this stage it starts to get exciting and it is tempting to hurry things along. Better to take it slow and safe.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Serf

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have been keeping it under tarps at night and during the bad weather. Tomorrow I will put a space heater inside for the next week then this weekend I will bgin my curing fires. That will be two weeks of curing for the vermicrete shell. I have another question, can I use regular mortar to even out the shape of the dome? I have a couple areas that could use some filling. I have a bag of Type S left and was going to use that. Also how long after the curing process do I have to wait before I cover w/ SBC ?
Thanks guys.