Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Cracks with smoke coming from them

Hi

I had the same thing before insulation - I ground down with grinder back too brick and recovered the area with fire cement - I also got into the oven and repointed the top of the dome..

Touch wood it seems ok - Ive heard somewhere on the forum that the tubes of firelcay ( in a pump disensor ) are good when the crack is at its widest fill it..

see thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...over-4843.html (crack in top of over)

Ken gave me some sound advice
Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Apprentice

My oven works great, cracks and all! As you heard, they all crack. it's just about the size of those cracks that matter. I used this furnace cement on them before I insulated. (see pic) That cracked slightly afterwards but no smoke or flame coming form them. I then covered the dome with a small layer of heat stop (refractory cement) to hold everything together. It worked ok but I still got some hairline cracks in that and I personally wouldn't recommend a thick layer over the dome because I feel it adds a bit too much to the thermal mass. Which takes a bit more wood and time to get it up to temps. Don't worry too much about it! Gotta Go, I'm heating up my oven as we speak!
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Cracks with smoke coming from them-img_0897.jpg   Cracks with smoke coming from them-img_0899.jpg   Cracks with smoke coming from them-img_0920.jpg   Cracks with smoke coming from them-img_0919.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Master Builder

Mine, of cource, cracked too. I put a diamond tipped masonary blade on my angle grinder and, from the outside, I ran the blade over the small cracks as to have a wider gap to fill with mortar. I then used a grout bag to inject the refmix into the groves I cut. This worked fine on the small cracks.

I had two that were bigger - like 1/8 inch or more. For those I again used the angle grinder with blade and cleaned them up so they were uniform in gap. I again sqirted refmix in them but then tapped firebrick wedges in the cracks. This also seemed to do the trick.

Problem was I then had to repair the inside. Wedge tapping left unsightly cracks on the inside. They didn't leak smoke, but looked bad.
Here, I just grout bagged and rubbed mortar into the cracks with my spong.

I waited 6 months and many firings before I started ANY of this.
Hope this helps. Lots of work but I am now crack-free.

dusty