Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Countryboy build in SC, US

How well/how long did the blade hold up? I have found some $70-$90 14" blades that will cut wet or dry... That would fit the chop saw for complex stuff, but I have several angle grinders, so the cheaper/smaller blades may be just the ticket if they'll last a while...

CB
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Apprentice

Well, another long day in the heat moving dirt... Had some help, as the pics show, but felt like I spent a lot of time "encouraging" them to get back to work... LOL!

The previous pics don't really relay the huge amount of dirt we hade to move to level the whole area so the pad would be the same level as the existing patio. I thought about leaving it and having a step up, but in the end decided to level it, despite the huge amount of work... Will be glad later, I am sure. a bit sore and tired right now with a little left before forming it up.

Have been researching options for how to dress up the concrete pad and have found a local company that sells acid etch to color the concrete... May use a stencil of mold when pouring, or may cut a design in it shortly after poring to simulate stone. See Specialty Concrete Products | specialty concrete products for ideas.

Also, while digging we stumbled on a water pipe under ground that I am not sure what it is hooked up to (somewhere under the house) as it had water in it but no pressure. Anyway, we teed a section and pulled it up where I planned a counter top... Guess there will be a sink there if I can find the end of the line and tie it into the plumbing. Will add a drain line and figure out how to tie it to the septic or drainfield later.

More later.

CB
Attached Thumbnails
Countryboy build in SC, US-dscf0342sm.jpg   Countryboy build in SC, US-dscf0343sm.jpg   Countryboy build in SC, US-dscf0344sm.jpg   Countryboy build in SC, US-dscf0345sm.jpg   Countryboy build in SC, US-dscf0346sm.jpg  

Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Will add a drain line and figure out how to tie it to the septic or drainfield later.
All your outdoor sink really needs is to drain to a nearby french drain, a holed section at the end of the pipe and some gravel. No elaborate plumbing needed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
All your outdoor sink really needs is to drain to a nearby french drain, a holed section at the end of the pipe and some gravel. No elaborate plumbing needed.
You are correct. I pondered that as I lay in bed last night. The drainfield runs by about 4-6' away, so that is one option, but I have considered that it may try venting through the drain leaving an unpleasant aroma on the patio... Next option, and probably better, as you state is a simple downhill run of drain field with slits in it. Wouldn't have to bury very deep and it would suffice as I do not expect a lot of water to run through it or any chunky stuff besides a little pizza dough.

I appreciate the input. Helps me consider all the angles...

CB
Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No matter where it drains to, you should have a P-trap under the sink to prevent the backflow of odors.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Serf

Countryboy, Tscarborough is right just put a P-trap and the odor wont be a problem. As fo the brick, .70 cents is cheap, Here in NYC the best I can get them for is .95 cents, and thats contractor price. I would stongly recomend to get some type of saw to cut the bricks, forget about chisel and hammer. The old metal chopsaw you say you have is sufficent, although you'll make alot of dust. Just put a diamond blade on it, and start cutting. My father is a bricklayer and he uses an old makita metal chopping saw w/ a diamond blade set up on the scaffold. A wet saw would work alot better, but when your laying bricks on a wall; you don't want them wet, and its a pain to cut bricks on gorund and then pass up on scaffold. I would strongly recomend the Harbor Freight tile saw, I bought one when they opened a store here, and got it w/ stand and diamond blade for $259( special promotion price). My dad is a contractor, when he first saw it he said it was a piece of junk, and any decent saw would cost upwards of $800. Well last father's day I went out and bought him one since he was using mine at least twice a month. So much for junk! It's a really well built saw, the H.F. blade is okay for cutting a few bricks, but for all day cutting I bought a dedicated diamond blade just for bricks. I use the H.F. tile blade just to cut tiles.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Apprentice

Thanks, Gio. Excellent info. Thanks also, T. Planned on a p-trap, but didn't think through the fact that it would limit air venting... I guess I thought pressure might push it through, but didn't consider the path of least resistance would be out of the drain field into the yard... D'uh!

Not doing any work today, but pondering future steps in this exciting project...

CB
Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Master Builder

CB, don't be too hard on yourself....this is a complex project and there are no dumb questions. Follow James' plans (free) and ask for help here when you get stuck. It's all been done before here already, you just have to search first then ask. All participants are eager to help.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Apprentice

Well, poured the patio extension this morning. It is/was VERY hot and I was working by myself basically for a pour that took nearly four yards. I had a truck deliver, but we couldn't get it close enough to direct the mix beyond the middle of the pad, so I had to pull a LOT by rake and shovel.

I had the correct amount ordered (3 yards), but in a classic amateur mistake, the mix was thick (I did have the sense to ask for it to be really wet...) and I think we ended up a bit thicker than I intended and had to have the drive run get one more yard as we came up short on the side closest to the truck.

All's well that ends well... Once I had it reasonably smooth I started to use a paving stone mold to press a paving stone motif on the surface. Came out fairly well, but will need a little work later before we stain and seal the concrete... I'll leave that part off for a while as I do not want to mess up finish. Likely it will be one of the last steps.

I'd take pics, but have it covered in weed guard and plastic to keep moisture in while curing... Added water several times and will water again this evening. May pull that stuff off by Saturday and then let it continue curing for another week before starting on the structure.

In the meantime, guess I need to learn to stucco so I can stucco the adjoining wall of my shop. Won't be able to get to much of it after the oven and fireplace begin to take shape.

CB
Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

CB,

Well done in the heat! I know ALL about doing everything by myself, and it's true: you can't go fast enough. You deserve a pat on the back and a sixer of cold ones, I think.

John