Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cooking Floor Height

I second (or third?) the half block idea. I think 45 inches is pretty perfect height. 41 would be too low unless you are on the vertically challenged side. I am 6' and would not want my oven any lower. But I did have a 5' 1" ish pizza chef over and she had to stand on a stool...

As for the slab - seems to me if your oven is not resting on the cantilevered section (which it doesnt appear to be in your drawing) that 8" is overkill. That's a lot of concrete. Remember you will need to build your landing up further to meet your oven floor - that's 4-6 inches of additional bulk on the front of your oven. You could have 12-14 inch block of cantilevered concrete/stone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Serf

Default Re: Cooking Floor Height

The half-block idea is a good one. Can you get those in that format, or do you need to cut them? Can't say I have run across those before...

On the cantilever... After doing some poking around the internet on rock weight, I found an estimate that a pallet of fieldstone weighs about 3000lbs, and that it covers about 50 sq ft. If we stick with a conservative approach, that would make each side about 3000 lbs - cantilevered on a 8" slab. It strikes me as OK, but I may need to scare up a civil engineer on this one!

Carl