Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Laborer

Location: Willamette [will-lam-it] Valley, Oregon [ore-y-gun]
Default Re: Continued Design Ideas

Maybe you would be better off buying a kit from Forno Bravo.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Laborer

The cheapest FB kit is $1,200. I have $300. I'm getting most of the materials for free or extremely cheap from construction sites or local online postings. My fire bricks cost $85. I picked up 500 brick pavers yesterday for $65. Getting free metal studs from a construction site. Got a bunch of 4 and 6 inch pressure treated wood free from a neighbor ripping out a deck. Is there a pattern here? This is the design I'm thinking of. The finish is stucco over leftover conc. board from a tile job a friend did. Rocks are from my yard. I've yet to find free corrugated tin roof but am still looking.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Laborer

Location: Willamette [will-lam-it] Valley, Oregon [ore-y-gun]

Looks good. It sounds like your committed to building it yourself.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Laborer

Yes, I am committed to build it myself. Can't see paying somebody else to have all the fun.

But to keep this thead from taking a turn I don't want, I encourage everyone to go back to page 1 (Continued Design Ideas) and read the last post. I'm really torn about the dome vs. vault debate I've read so much about. I'd love to build the dome but am not sure I can pull it off, especially with the bricks I have. But if it really is so much superior to the vault I'll bite the bullet and go for it.

Those who have built one or the other, please feel free to post your advice (after all, I love getting stuff for free ).
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Apprentice

I did much the same as you, started with a $0 budjet. Our firebrick were wedge shaped so we went with a barrel vault. In the cold rain a few months ago it took 2 1/2 hours or less to get to pizza temps. I wanted the larger mass for retained heat, with mounds of insulation. After cooking we put the door on and we loose about 100 degrees per day, great for extended cooking.

Decide what you want your oven to do and go from there. I have had good luck and am pleased with our design.

Derk
Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My barrel takes about 1 to 1 1/2 to get to temp.
And it stays hot enough to cook in for 3 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
My barrel takes about 1 to 1 1/2 to get to temp.
And it stays hot enough to cook in for 3 days.
I've looked at your build several times and have to say it is impressive. I've considered the vault mainly because I've never worked with brick or stone. But you, a total jedi master stone builder also chose the vault over the dome. Curious to know your reasons.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkp View Post
I did much the same as you, started with a $0 budjet...
Decide what you want your oven to do and go from there. I have had good luck and am pleased with our design.

Derk
Hi Derk. This is Craig in Sandy. I'm still hoping to drive up and take a look at yours. I told my wife about your soccer party and she is now excited to have our back yard tore up again.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had a home made castable oven prior, it was built after one I did in an oven building workshop and even though the person taking the workshop was the "master" of all things kilns and ovens it didnt perform well at all.

I did the research for a better oven which led me here to this forum, I looked at all the fine ovens built by novices but couldnt understand and still dont, as to why they take on so much work with all that cutting for a dome.

Barrels are way easier to build, I can hear all the domers now, screaming "no its not" at their monitor....

I built a 1/4 scale dome Pompeii just for fun recently and it was as hard to build as the actual barrel build of my oven, so I wouldnt like tackle a full sized one.

The straight lines of the oven walls and the vaulted roof won the day.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Barrels are way easier to build...The straight lines of the oven walls and the vaulted roof won the day.
You're singing my song and its music to my ears. Vault is easy. Easy is better. Vault is better. Maybe I got no brain but this is a no brainer. Vault it is. Thanks.

Craig