Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Continued Design Ideas

I thought I'd mention how I built the door. But first, here's the old door design, made out of redwood, soaked in water all day then after pizzas, I cleaned out the coals and put the door in overnight so I could cook bread the next morning. About 2:00 I woke up to a heavy smoke smell coming in my bedroom window.

My new door is much better. I created a basket out of metal lath the shape of my oven opening then filled it with perlcrete made from a modified home brew by substituting sand with perlite. I finished it with a skim coat of home brew. So far it is holding up pretty well. The area where the mesh is showing is where I had to sand down the skim coat to fit in the opening.

Here's the door in place and my oven surrounded by squash.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

looks like the old door got a little warmish.

Chip
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yikes, still must of been plenty warm...those Geneva bricks.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Master Builder

Yes that first ones kinda rustic looking. Like your revised version, interested to see how it goes