Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Construction time start to finish

Well, it depends on whether you are counting to fully finished or just to when you can start using it for pizza!
From the first shovel to pizza for me was about 3-4 months over the summer, but 6 months later it still needs some work to make it look good. But then i've been having weekly pizza cookups for the last 4 months, so i'm not complaining.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Journeyman

I built and had my foundation ready the end of 07. I layed my concrete slab around April of 08 and had my first official Pizza party July 4 th 08. THe only issue is you have to let some things dry and cure before you can move to the next step. I'm sure someone has mapped out the "minimum" amount of time. The trick is not to rush it and do it right.

Good luck.
Dick
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Serf

I broke ground on 2nd May 09 and finished building the dome today (30th may 09). That's with no prior building experience, a full time job, no assistance from anyone, and no concrete mixer!!!

I have to admit though I have worked on it every spare minute ive had, on order to get it finished for summer. I'm exhausted!!!

Still need to build arch, vent and install chimney, do outer insulation layer, and render stand and dome!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:00 AM

Part of the variable is how complex the outer enclosure will be. A block stand topped by an igloo, all stucco covered, will take less time than a full finished and roofed enclosure.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

i completed mine, with the exception of stucco over the dome in 7 weekends and about 6 weeknights. the weekends i did the larger items and the weeknights i worked on the dome by doing one layer a night. i had my oven curing fires and have been cooking for a month now. other things im still working on was a prep area attatched to my shed that i made out of a 4 1/2 slab of solid rock maple i got from a sawmill, Now i also involved in the landscaping/flooring aspect trying to figure out how tto pretty up the area. I am involved often as a general contractor, so i often sent one of my drivers to pick up supplies, (220 firebrick) etc. and that saved a lot of time for me. my biggest asset was building a temporary awning over the whole oven with a 12 x 12 tarp. which allowed me to work dry when it rained and a lot cooler when the sun was shining. good luck, take your time and every once in a while just get a chair, sit back and look and think out your next step.. good luck and you will enjoy it.. Mark

the pics are pizza countertop,oven and my favorite Dirty steak,,Cooked right on the coals

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 05:48 PM.