Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Considering build of Pompeii oven

I embedded some halogen lights in the decorative arched opening to my oven. The approach is very similar to Niels approach (he did his before me) - the difference is in the way the lights are mounted. Still considering going the 12VDC approach but for now lamps are 120VAC protected by GFI circuit.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ch...html#post12844

So far - I have a light grey soot coating on the lamps - but no appreciable layer, The angle, combined with their being pairs lights up the inside of the oven very well. Their location is far from the inside of the oven and temps remain relatively low at the arch area. I intend to mortar a small piece of brick and wire cover to act as a guard against someone touching the lamp...

Good luck and think safety!!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Considering build of Pompeii oven

Neill,

Thanks for that will read the info now. I figure if I can have light in the oven then that woudl be better than a miners light on my head. I know my friend would have a field day with me wearing a miners hat while cooking.

Christo,

I like your idea of mouting the light into the brickwork of the arch helps to protect the wire from heat. Did you wrap the wire in Insulation ?

I will be looking at using 12V Lights rather than the 240V option and am thinking of incasing it in a glass enclosure made from the same glass used inside ovens doors.

Imran

Last edited by ikhan42; 05-10-2008 at 01:28 AM.