Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Concrete counters poured in place

That concrete ofuro is awesome! We had a concrete ofuro in Japan when I was growing up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiff View Post
DaveW,

If, I may, what info do you have on the roof tiles? I can't find anything like them around me. I really like the look.

Thanks.
Thanks the roof tiles are from Ludowici

Ludowici Roof Tile - Product

They are 13 1/4 inch spanish barrels (color terra cotta). I found a distributor about an hour away. Around $800 to do the roof! Not cheap.

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Apprentice

Default roof tiles

Yeah, they are pricey. Was considering fabbing up some myself from high fire clay. While in Italy this summer, I closely studied the various tile roofing systems there (what that means is I have endless numbers of pictures of tile roofs that nobody understands but me ). All fairly simple in their layout. I was surprised by the number of different kinds, typically changing with the locality, but all having that same final tile roof look. Many ways to skin the cat, as they say. Sure would be easier to find some .

I also wanted to compliment you on the concrete chimney cap. That use of sonotube was very clever and the result was nice and clean. I'm impressed you poured it in place! Nice job.

Thanks for the info. I'll study that site a bit more ...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: roof tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiff View Post
Yeah, they are pricey. Was considering fabbing up some myself from high fire clay. While in Italy this summer, I closely studied the various tile roofing systems there (what that means is I have endless numbers of pictures of tile roofs that nobody understands but me ). All fairly simple in their layout. I was surprised by the number of different kinds, typically changing with the locality, but all having that same final tile roof look. Many ways to skin the cat, as they say. Sure would be easier to find some .

I also wanted to compliment you on the concrete chimney cap. That use of sonotube was very clever and the result was nice and clean. I'm impressed you poured it in place! Nice job.

Thanks for the info. I'll study that site a bit more ...
Thanks,

Our roof included the field tiles, end tiles, ridge caps, gable rakes and eve closures, but you can do the entire thing with just simple curved pans. My wife wanted me to try to cast them. . . I talked her out of it.
Dave
Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Peasant

Tom,

Here are a couple of photos of my first ever pour in place project made with Quikrete counter top mix. The counter and hearth are both cantilevered. I added colored glass bits to the surface and I made my form with an inset for the indigo tiles around the face of the counter. This was a very interesting project and being the first large counter project I have learned much. Hopefully I will have the chance to use the lessons learned on a redo or another smaller project. (Just don't tell my wife of the thoughts of a redo)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete counters poured in place-p1010117.jpg   Concrete counters poured in place-p1010118.jpg   Concrete counters poured in place-p1010119.jpg   Concrete counters poured in place-233-640x480-.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I always advise people to do at least a small test slab before tackling the real thing."

I agree completely with splatgirl on this. The process is not too difficult but some hands on experience first will pay off. Make some benches and patio blocks etc. Experiment with colour.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Peasant

Exactly, I agree totally with experimentation and practice.

I have several small slabs from practice.

John
Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for all the advise, I will start the forms this weekend.
Jag, I really like your build. Your arch is different and looks awesome and the door fits nicely. I the color glaze to put in the oven and then I will start on the counter.
Not sure how long it will take, but I will for sure be using the oven even with forms in the way.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Apprentice

Hi, I assume that concrete counters(polished or otherwise) arent food safe? or am I wrong about this? Im loving the finishes I'm seeing on here and I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one. How do people get around this or are people preparing food directly ont he polished concrete?

Thanks

Richard
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Hi, I assume that concrete counters(polished or otherwise) arent food safe? or am I wrong about this? Im loving the finishes I'm seeing on here and I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one. How do people get around this or are people preparing food directly ont he polished concrete?

Thanks

Richard
They're totally food safe. Same as what many people put in their houses. I'm not certain why you think they would not be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.