Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Compact 36" in Seattle

The blanket and insulation board I ordered from fornoo bravo. I got everything else locally. I made my own mortar, using #70 silica sand, portland, lime, and fireclay in a 3:1:1:1 ratio. I got the mortar materials from Salmon Bay Sand and Gravel, they are cheaper, have a better selection, and get you in and out the door faster than the big box stores. The bricks and the skagits (large 2'x1' floor bricks) I got from IXL, but they went out of business a couple of months ago, so I think Mutual materials is your best bet. That is also where I got the clay flue liner.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Peasant

No door yet, but I just ordered materials to build an insulated door. I feel like the door is where there is the least design consensus of the whole project.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Peasant

Updates! I finished the project (except for the door) a long time ago, but haven't gotten around to posting pics. So here you go! These are of pouring the counter, and finishing the stucco up. The stucco is three coats of fiber-reinforced portland stucco over wire lathe(mesh), with two coats of terra-cotta colored acrylic stucco over that. My thinking was that the layer of insulation blanket over the bricks, then an un-anchored mesh layer over that would provide a way for the bricks to expand and contract, without cracking the stucco. So far, no cracks after about 8 uses of the oven! I'm hopping the two coats of acrylic stucco will keep it water tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8459.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8516.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8524.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8463.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Peasant

Taking a break to cook! My fastest pie was 48 seconds, which was amazing, but now I shoot for 70-80 seconds! There just wasn't enough margin for error, and you have to work really fast. Even so, I wowed the crowd pulling out several 50 second pizzas in quick succession. The pics isn't one of those, that pie took about 70 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8588.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8603.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8615.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8622.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Peasant

Finished! I don't have any pics of the counter polishing process, but it was surprisingly quick and easy with some diamond-resin disks on my 4.5" grinder. It is glass smooth, then sealed. If you look closely, you can see a couple of stains which happened when I was cooking and some oils spilled onto the concrete, before any grinding at all. At the time I wasn't worried about it because I was planning on grinding the top layer off, but apparently the oil penetrates the concrete pretty deep. Adds character, I guess. However, now that it is sealed, new oil spills don't soak in at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc9431.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc9444.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc9438.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc9443.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Peasant

I'm really happy with the performance. It gets white-dome, 800 floor, 900+ in less than an hour with a good fire. I'd say an hour, from striking the match. IT was even hotter when I was doing those sub-50 second pies, at 900 floor, and off scale (so over 1000) on the dome. I'm also having fun cooking things other than pizza. No door yet, so no bread, but I've been roasting veggies as the oven is heating up, and fish and chickens over the coals once I'm finished cooking pizza. The veggies are amazingly good, with a very, very thin, delicate, almost shattery crust, and soft interiors. The fish was outrageous too. It was a whole, wild sockeye salmon, stuffed with fresh herbs and lemon, salted and peppered generously, then rubbed all over with olive oil. Then I cooked it over the coals of the dying pizza fire, and through a woody branch of a rosemary bush (they grow like weeds out here, and get huge) on the fire, and the fish was perfumed with rosemary smoke, which you could taste in the final product.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc8675.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc9383.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc9386.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Peasant

More pics, and all in one place:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1185d2e&type=1