Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Compact 36" in Seattle

Need to start buying tools and materials....
Is this the Harbor Freight saw that everyone has?
2.5 Horsepower 10" Industrial Tile/Brick Saw

It is surprisingly difficult to search the forums for such information because the forum search function says that "saw" is too short a term to search on.

Any Seattle area folks feel like selling theirs used? Or is a saw like than worn out after one oven?

Also, is there any reason to be wary of 12x24x2.5 floor tiles? Is there such a thing as too big? I'm thinking of thermal stresses, etc. I'm really attracted to the idea of having fewer joints on the floor. IXL is selling them for $25 a piece. Their regular firebricks are $1.20, so that works out to 3X more expensive per square foot. They don't have 12x12 tiles.

Thanks!
C
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The way I explain modular paving, be it driveways, aircraft parking areas, or pizza ovens is that all the cracks are pre-engineered into the system.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Journeyman

I borrowed a HF saw and it was wonderful. You should check Craigslist as I see them on there intermittently. If you find the blade does not fit on there well, lightly take a file to the inner hole as they (the Mfgrs) do not always replace the drill bits so the hole is slightly too small - in my experience.

I would go with the larger bricks as well looking back. If you can find a local soapstone supplier, that may be a good option as well - check out the thread for the 81 inch oven in KY

TS is right on with the concrete cracking. It is engineered in - just dont know where it is gonna crack.

You did the right thing with getting the concrete covered up. Too much water weakens the 'crete and causes a repour - a real bummer. Your getting the mix was much better than doing it yourself - too many guys cannot mix the mud very consistently which can cause havoc.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
It is surprisingly difficult to search the forums for such information because the forum search function says that "saw" is too short a term to search on.
Google is often a better means of searching the FB forum than the search function. If you search "brick oven wet saw" the FB results will be near the top, and will have a link to other forno bravo specific results.
Quote:
Also, is there any reason to be wary of 12x24x2.5 floor tiles?
The refractory "tiles" work fine. As you've pointed out, they are more expensive than firebrick, and they are medium duty or harder, making them harder to cut. They are also more awkward to handle on the wet saw, you may need help to support them. A diagonally laid brick floor really doesn't have any downsides, except for commercial uses where the health department gets a notion about floor seams, in which case the tiles wouldn't do, either.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Peasant

Sooooo..... Crazy good idea, or crazy bad idea? What do you all think of the idea of not tying the hearth slab to the block stand in any way? Just letting it's own substantial weight keep it in place? The reason is that I'm pushing the zoning limits in my area by locating the oven where I'm building it. If I don't tie the hearth to the stand, I feel like I have a chance of forklifting the entire hearth and oven to a new stand, (in a less desirable, but legal location), if I get forced to do such a thing by the city. What do you all think?

Also, thanks all for the feedback on the big 12x24 tiles. I think I'll go with them, despite the added expense. It only adds about $120 to the cost of the project, which seems worth it to me.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Journeyman

Portable hearth eh?

The challenge is the weight of moving. Seeing that you are in a seismic area, code will require that the unit is tied together.

If it were me, I would not fill the blocks flush but leave about 1 inch of hole underneath and then put in a bond breaker so your hearth will be lego like. Either way, you will need a forklift for moving the hearth and or Heath/oven combo - easily looking at 1500 pounds.

If your neighbors complain, give them a few pizzas. If they continue to complain, drop some phenolphthalein (a pH indicator) in the crust - gives ya the runs and does not have much of a taste. That is pure evil genius and works - did it to a few of my "classmates" in college who screwed me during exams on several occasions (I ended up on the low end due to my integrity and not cheating.) - should have seen them running out the door at the end of a 3 hour final . Yes, I got the last laugh and my advisor/professor laughed about it and a brilliant technical way to get even. The stern lecture I received from the Dean, grinning the whole time, put it in perspective.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Peasant

C5Dad, remind me not to get on your bad side. I don't expect complaints from neighbors, both of my closest neighbors are happy with the project, and it is on a corner, not adjoining anyone else's property. The problem is that the oven is too close to my lot line. However, it is in a little sunken area of our yard and doesn't "feel" close to the property line, so I don't anticipate any complaints. I think I'll just go ahead and tie it to the stand.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Journeyman

Wow, really? I can't imagine moving one of these things after its done. You might want to talk with your neighbors now if you think there will be a problem.

Mike
Old 12-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Peasant

I'm confident I won't get complaints from neighbors. It would have to be an inspector randomly driving by. My yard is sunken, so it won't be very visible from the road, so I expect no problems.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Peasant

Update on my progress...
Took the form off of the slab, drilled holes for stand rebar to slot into slab, dry stacked stand, started to build form, but then got rained out. Not a bad day.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc0886.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc0891.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc0895.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc0926.jpg   Compact 36" in Seattle-_dsc0931.jpg