Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Have you thought about building the arch first? I started like you and then Amac suggested i complete the arch. I am glad i did. At you can see the target, even though will lie like a dog.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cloita,

If I were to do this again, building the arch first or buildingvthe arch with the course I would build the arch first, like Tex said. My 2 cents.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Apprentice

Looking good Cloita! Nice and neat. You might consider cleaning the bricks as you go...that will save the whole muriatic acid routine.

gene
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Laborer

Texman/russell - i attempted the arch with the second course in place and decided to go another course for a better idea of brick intersections.

Ggoose - i have been cleaning the remnants off and making each brick and joint smooth as I go, the brick is retaining the dark color unfortunately. Haven't researched cleaning methods since I figured it would be black anyway, and was happy as long as it is smooth. Thoughts?

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." --Yogi Berra
Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Apprentice

Smooth is good! My bricks were stained with the mortar as well (I used the FB mortar for most of my build and it is much darker than the Heatstop). Thats probaly what I saw in your pics - the staining.

gene
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Laborer

Whew, good!

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." --Yogi Berra
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Laborer

Long time since last update. I've completed my arches and vent transition (pictures coming soon).

Ran into a major snag though, I'm having one helluva time cutting my bevels on the fourth course with a 10" saw, the bricks are constantly hitting the saw guards and making it extremely difficult to cut straight lines and very time consuming compared to previous courses. I'll get some pictures this afternoon of my jig setup and what's happening, but does anyone have any experience on how they've gotten around this? I'm guessing it is my jig to blame but who knows!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Master Builder

As those courses rise and the angles increase, you will have to raise the blade and make multiple passes. Are you doing that already?
Tracy

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Laborer

yes, been raising the blade as needed, the multiple passes is the concerning part since even at the current angle of course #4 the entire brick is starting to be taller than the usable blade.

the jig matches the angle of rise in my courses as suggested in http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html (Twist and Tilt), and i cut an angle in the edge against my table to provide the necessary bevel.

the remaining courses are going to become a PITA! i must meditate on a solution today... =)

Last edited by cloita; 07-11-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Master Builder

I think Hendo may have had a bigger saw than 10" I couldn't make that method work on my 10" either.
You can get the same angles and bevels using the wedges in the pic. Doing the math really helped me, too. HTH
Tracy

from Dmun on that thread:
"Wow, that's clever, raising the whole back of the brick to get the angle you need rather than tilting the side. The only observation is that when you get a few more layers up your 10 inch blade isn't going to be deep enough to cut a brick on it's edge.

By the way, wood works perfectly well for making your shims."
Yes somewhere in there he said he had a 14" saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL-062612h.jpg  

Last edited by texman; 07-11-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add comment