Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Cleaning the Oven Dome & Cooking Floor

i installed a 2mm metal vent & galvanize chimney but didnt insulate them, will that affect the heat of the oven? (escape)

also could u close the oven with (with for example a metal door) durring heating so it heats up faster, with ofcrse a small opeing for oxygen?
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning the Oven Dome & Cooking Floor-dsc03993-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Master Builder

Nice looking oven. If the vent is in front of the oven opening per the usual pompeii plans, insulation is not needed (although it may help the oven draw). If your oven is fully cured, it's time to make some big fires. If you have not made a big fire to cook in it, then that is why you are not burning off the soot. As I said in my previous post, you may have a few fires before it really performs well (I felt I hit the sweet spot at six).

Will the gas pipe work? I don't know. It certainly could be used to help start fires with wood, and may work to help maintain heat, but you need a lot of BTUs for a pizza oven to get hot - as I said previously, I thought you probably have not had a big enough fire to burn off the soot and the information you have given us since seems to support this. As far as using wood for taste - that makes sense if you are cooking at lower temperatures, but in my oven the fire is so hot the wood burns pretty clean and there is no visible smoke, I think the taste from wood is hard to perceive, but that's probably just me.

Fire it up!

Marc
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maver View Post
Nice looking oven.
<snip> It certainly could be used to help start fires with wood, and may work to help maintain heat, but you need a lot of BTUs for a pizza oven to get hot - as I said previously, I thought you probably have not had a big enough fire to burn off the soot and the information you have given us since seems to support this.<snip>
I agree with Marc, both about this being a good-looking oven, and that you need to FIRE IT UP. I do not think that the gas that you have has sufficient BTU's to get the oven up to temperature.

That said, I would be interested in the use of gas to start the warming process and if it is able to maintaime heat once the oven is up to pizza themerature. Please keep us informed as you continue to experiment – experimentation and the learning curve just helps us get better.

I also like the stand that you have built. How easy is it to move around?

J W
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Journeyman

By looking at your pictures I would tend to agree that the fires have not been hot enough. You can see that there is a square section of "clean" wall that corresponds to your buner placement. That would seem to say that piece of wall is getting hot enough to clear from the burners.

Do you have any way to measure temp? Would be helpful to see how hot your dome really is.

Yes, you can build a firing door. I will be building one with a 2 inch tall opening across the bottom of the door and a 2 inch opening across the top. Air in and smoke out. I believe someone posted a picture of one a while back, but I don't remember who.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

When you first light a wood fire in the oven, the oven is cool and the soot builds up on the inside of the oven because the brick is cooler. After you get a good hot fire going and the oven comes up to temperature, the soot burns off leaving a clean brick. Also the oven gets hotter, you also have less smoke because of the heat of the wood fire. It takes my oven much longer than 20 minutes to get hot. I start with a smaller fire, then keep adding wood until I have a very hot, roaring fire. I usually light my oven 1 1/2 to 2 hrs before I am going to cook pizzas in it.
Once the oven is really hot, it will burn off the soot, this is also an indicator that the oven is getting up to a good cooking temperature for pizzas.
When the oven is hot, scrape all of the coals over to the side, let the floor cool for 10-15 minutes (it is actually red hot but you can't see that in the day light) and sweep the ash off the floor where you are putting your pizzas.
If you are worried about the oven not getting hot enough because of the door and oven height, no worries, just keep adding a few sticks of wood to the coals which maintain the heat of the oven.
Trial and error will teach you how to use the oven and get its best performance.
ATK406 likes this.