Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Christo's Cucina

A little more progress. Works been keeping me busy. Been splitting my time working out of the home and travelling. In many ways working out of the home is not the sweet deal I thought it would be....

Took a weekend off to work on the oven area. I'm dealing with a slope in the backyard and the ground is hard as firebrick and roots as rebar - digging was brutal.

First off, I apologize for lack of beer or wine in any of the following pictures - I'll do better next time!!!

Originally planned to make the wings out of block like the oven base. Then got to thinking of how much larger that would make them. Then shifted to back and ends out of block and front out of backer board for flexibilty of fit. Still too big for my liking. So I went for metal stud and concrete board construction.

Construction went well. Overplanned as usual, so I was able to precut all studs with my circular saw and metal blade - cut two at a time nested together and wore gloves. Used one of these big mouth vise grip clamps to hold the metal studs together while screwing- much easier. After fastening it to the Oven base and slab with Tapcon screws it is very solid.

Also - the weed burner from HF is breakable....I stepped on it. Note to self to keep a cleaner worksite!!!

Christo
Attached Thumbnails
Christo's Cucina-framing.jpg   Christo's Cucina-left-frame.jpg   Christo's Cucina-new-floor.jpg   Christo's Cucina-raising-level.jpg   Christo's Cucina-skin.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christo; 10-21-2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: weed burner leak
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Master Builder

This job is bigger than I imagined. And it all started with an innocent little Pizza oven!!!!

I finished the island framing and went on to build the retaining wall for the patio. I rented a ditch witch and trenched the areas to be leveled before bringing in the skid steer - the ground has been so dry between that and the tree roots I know I'd get nowhere fast if I did not break up the ground.

Trenching through tree roots in hard dirt is not easy - that machine beats you up pretty good. The following day I rented a stand behind skid steer - it has tracks and a small bucket. It worked pretty well for clearing the broken ground and moving the 4 trailer loads of gravel I had. Stand behind skid steer is also pretty rough on the body - nothing to hold on to but the controls!!!! I came pretty close to the oven once - Next time - I will complete the grading before building the oven.

Now I only need about 20 more trailer loads of gravel....

Christo
Attached Thumbnails
Christo's Cucina-construction-complete.jpg   Christo's Cucina-left-wing.jpg   Christo's Cucina-wall-back.jpg   Christo's Cucina-wall.jpg  

Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am in awe!

Very inspirational.

Now you got me thinking........ bigger ...

Great work!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Master Builder

That's really terrific ... and I am NOT showing it to my husband!!
I'll be watching for more photos though - nice!

sarah
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool!

Your oven turned out superb! You make my back hurt just looking at the work you've still got ahead of you. It's going to be a hell of an addition to your house when the entire BBQ (and patio?) are done. I assume your property taxes will go up. What a deal that is huh? Spend all that time and money making your place nicer and then the tax man charges you more to live there.

I'm planning a similar though smaller version. My wife is already asking if it will be ready by next summer. I see no light at the end of the tunnel on my oven yet and she's already planning pool parties.

Keep up the great work.

-
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Apprentice

[QUOTE=asudavew;18290<snip> Now you got me thinking........ bigger ... Great work![/QUOTE]

I thought that bigger was always better.

J W
Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 AM
Apprentice

Christo, Do you have a finished picture of everthing?
I do have a question about footings.

Question:
How far down did you dig for footings? I know the ground freezes there. Are the footings below frost line?

It looks great!!!
fb66
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Master Builder

Hi everyone!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words - Fullback - my part of NC the frost line is only 4 inches below finished grade - so I'm on a floating slab. Dave/JW/GJ - this is a much bigger job than I realised when I set out to make my oven/patio. I'm still shoveling and compacting gravel. Will it ever end????

With Thanksgiving coming and a commitment to use the oven to roast it, I had to make a door.

I had a piece of SuperIso (from FB) left over that was just the right size for the door. I was worried about how to fasten and durability so I cut a piece of expanded metal to fit. I can fasten through the expanded metal and hopefully it will help with any corner hits or help hold it together if it evenutally cracks.

I was concerned about heat transfer to the handles so I screwed the superIso to the Plywood door and screwed the handles to the plywood from the other side. Result - nice cool handles. I have to be careful not to heat up the screws too much and burn them out of the plywood - maybe time to use through bolts and a metal door when that happens.

We made pizza Wed night, closed up the oven and went to bed. In the morning the oven was still over 600 degress. We had to take the remaining coals out and leave the door open to cool it down. I put a coffee can full of water in the back, took the turkey out of the brine and it cooked up wonderfully!!!! It even tasted good.... We ended up cooking stuffing and rolls in there as well. (We had an tragic stuffing accident in the inside oven and the stuffing caught fire and made the inside oven stinky - don't worry it's all cleaned up now)

BTW - I'm not sure what I did right but I'm still not getting the soot on my arch.....

Can't wait for Christmas dinner (Hmmm Turkey again?)

Best Regards,

Chris, Christo, or whoever I am today....
Attached Thumbnails
Christo's Cucina-backside.jpg   Christo's Cucina-proud-papa.jpg   Christo's Cucina-new-door.jpg  

Last edited by christo; 11-29-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Christo,
Great looking bird. Congrats on meeting your Thanksgiving commitment to use your oven.
I like your door design. I'v never heard the term expanded metal before. Is that the metal mesh on the inside of the door?
George

-
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Christo,

Great door! That's really similar to what I have in mind. I like your t-shirt too.

Ken

Updated!