Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Christo's Cucina

Yes, Christo, the whole look is coming together nicely! We just now looked over your entire building thread and it's like a great story. I was really interested in your oven landing which looks deep and wide. What is your vent-landing dimmensions? I just posted my thoughts on my build-thread that I was going to open up to 24" wide at the front and it would be 16-17" deep. How is your access working out?
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Master Builder

Thanks - Progress is slow but satisfying!!!!

Dino - as far as the opening - I was actually going to leave you a PM on your opening..... I love the wide splay of the entry - allows me to see almost the entire inside of the oven and allows lots of manuvering room with the peel. I've never used a straight entry oven, so I can't talk much to knowing the difference.

Dimensions - 20 inch width at dome entrance; 27 inch width at decorative arch ; distance between outside edge of dome and outside decorative arch - 16 inches. I have a bit more than a brick and a half in my entryway. the 16 inches so far has worked out great - There is enough room to bake cookies there when the dome is still too hot.

You didnt ask but my dome is a bit more than 19 inches high and door is 12 inches tall.

Christo

Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those sconces should be a standard design element....very nice Christo! Good use of the space.

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Jim!

The niches are tucked into the space between the dome and the flared opening. Still had room for insulation - I used some small scraps of the cermaic insluation where I had any concerns - the niches run cool as a cucumber!

Christo

Old 01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Serf

Christo,

My first look through the entire thread and I must say, you are a major pizzaiolo stud. You are on my list of WFO Heroes...a sort of WFO Hall of Fame. (Which makes me wonder if anyone has thought of a thread for the WFO Hall of Fame?)
The weird thing is that I have very similar dreams of an outdoor area as yours. As if separated at birth. I've started my oven and it sits on a corner.
The roof is one of my biggest concerns being here in Florida with the rain and such. Did you ever conside a pitched roof?
Also, did you have good wife support? Mine has been good to date. If I don't hurry, my grace period may end.

Great job, Christo.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Apprentice

Chris,

That look wonderful. I'm jealous of your snow, too! We've gotten everything insulated and weatherproofed, but we have to wait until it stops freezing at night for the final decorations. I have no hope it will be as lovely as yours, though! We did manage to get 2 large pieces of scrap granite for $25, though, and we're going to use those as side work areas. I can't wait for the warmer weather!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Master Builder

thanks Amber and GreatrJoe!

I can't wait for warmer weather, either. Half my kitchen is color stuccoed and the other half remains gray. At least now it feels like it's small manageable projects here on out.

Joe - If I have anything that might qualify me as a hall of famer it is likely the length of this project!!! Took my inspiration from the oven below:

The two ovens still look a bit similar - but thats the nice thing about borrowing bits and pieces at the end your creativity and vision brings them all together into something unique.

So from the pic you can see why I never considered an angled roof -

My roof is recessed from the top edge by about 4 inches. I also have about 1.5 inches of pitch in mine from front to back. I also installed a curb made from leftover isoboard around the vent pipe.

All that is covered by a pond liner. We have had some real downpours with no issues (knock wood!). Water would have to be 2 inches deep to worry about going into the gap between the clay vent pipe and roof (that is sealed with hi-temp silicone as well).

As far as spousal support, it's been great. She hasn't been out there everyday with me, but when I needed her - she was always there for me. Could not ask for better than that.

Cheers

Christo

Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rjoe View Post
(Which makes me wonder if anyone has thought of a thread for the WFO Hall of Fame?)
Funny, I mentioned it a few times while watching Frances finish her mosaics...no response.

But if their was a WFO hall of fame, you would be in it, Cristo.

Looks fantastic.

dusty
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Serf

Absolutely fantastic work Christo!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Serf

I am a newbie to the whole WFO idea and after reading through this tread I am speechless. Your outdoor kitchen is truly heaven. Thank you (and everyone else) for taking the time to document and create a tutorial on your experience.

Kirk.