Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Christo's Cucina

Wow Christo, this is just getting better and better. Plasma cutter, welder, nothing like a plasma cutter to brighten up a day .

You have such a wonderful area out there, it looks very tranquil. A nice water feature like a rock water fall or something similar would be very cool... Any plans for that?

Take care,

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 AM
Master Builder

You mean something like this:

I love it. But think it is a bit too much for the kitchen/patio. It just did not seem to fit. Maybe somewhere else someday....

But yes. We plan for a fountain but likely stone or cast in the medium size range (4 to 6 ft tall max).

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:32 AM
Laborer

Where did you get that big concrete planter? How much did you pay for it? Did you use concrete sealer on it before planting it?

I have a plastic covered foam one and its already coming apart.

thanks - Chuck
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Master Builder

Ahh. The white planters - sorry. No idea they came with the house. The builder left them behind.

They are urethane and were white when I inherited them. I mixed up some black latex paint with water and gave them a wipe down to make them look a little more interesting. 6 years later and they are still doing fine. - One thing I did which may help - I put a bunch of closed 2 liter coke bottles in the bottom of each planter before I put the dirt in them - they are still plenty heavy but no where near as heavy as they were when completely filled with dirt. I think that may also be helping to prevent them from cracking and splitting.

Christo
Attached Thumbnails
Christo's Cucina-planter.jpg  

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work Christo. I keep watching your progress from afar. Happy to see you're done moving earth and setting patio stone. The project is coming together nicely. Funny how these things seem to take ages to complete when you do them yourself. Years pass as think about and consider the possibilities. Committing to them and finally starting seems to me, to be the hardest part.
I like you're idea for a water feature posted above, but like you, I think it doesn't fit the area. Perhaps a tree shaped sculpture with water pouring from the branches would fit in the space?? Hmmmm. Regardless, I love the look you're creating.
George

-
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Master Builder

George,

Talked to my wife about the tree shaped sculpture and she loves it.

I saw some mention of cement fondu on the site here and googled it - there are lots of people scuplting with it and it looks like a mix between cement fondu and copper could make a great tree.

Gonna have to thaw out here before I start on that.

Christo

Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Master Builder

A little more progress.

I was christmas shopping for my wife and found some wall sconces I thought might work in the niches. They fit like I made the niches around them! (3/4 inch around on all sides)

They were not what I originally had in my mind when I built the oven enclosure but are starting to grow on me. One more thing off the punchlist! As you can see from the pics - I seriously need some tool storage - the flue tile I was using finally finished cracking in half.

We had a bit of snow here this week, so I've also attached the now obligatory pic of the oven in snow. Snow seems to make things look so much better!!!

Have a great weekend!!! It sounds like Neill may be finished with his oven/kitchen area this weekend. I can't wait to see it.

Christo
Attached Thumbnails
Christo's Cucina-img_1662.jpg   Christo's Cucina-img_1540.jpg   Christo's Cucina-img_1539.jpg   Christo's Cucina-img_1541.jpg  

Last edited by christo; 01-23-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Journeyman

Christo,
Those sconces look great. Its amazing how great they fit, even the radius of the arch is perfect. Your project just keeps getting better.

Mark
Old 01-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can't believe you didn't make the niches just for those sconces!

It looks really good. Even all snowed under.

I'm still looking for a good tool storage thingy too- I keep going to the place that has the really ugly jar, but the store has the strangest hours I've even seen. The posted hours bear no resemblance to reality. At all. I don't know how they stay, well, I'd say "how they stay open", but that doesn't actually apply here...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thumbs up on the decorative niche. I think the little details make all the difference. Very nice.

Ahhhhh. Tool storage. Now there's a topic....
James