Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Christo's Cucina

The patio is in. All the brick cuts are complete.

I think my blade is now pretty much toast. There is still about 1/8 of an inch of grit on it but it's very slow going through bricks now.

I'll post some new pics when I get out of work.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Apprentice

Wow Christo! I have been through your thread many times, but somehow missed the last 10 posts or so. What a fantastic area you have created! You have got to be proud!

Since I am thinking about buying your saw, why do you suppose the water pumps failed, though I realize this must be common since everyplace that sells saws has water pumps for sale right next to them, and when you replaced the pump that came with your saw, did you replace it with an identical pump, or did you get one that was better? The pump that comes with the saw, currently, from Harbor Freight seems a little crappy

Thanks and great job!
Travis
Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Master Builder

All in all, that saw is one of the better purchases from HF.

It lasted through a ton of brick cuts.

The water pump is a standard fountain pump with magnetic drive. with all the grit and brick stuff flowing through it it finally created enough space that the impellor could move side to side and not rotate. I took it apart and put some tape around it and it worked if I spun it in the right direction - unfortunately these pumps have no particular direction - they can rotate in eiter direction and work. - in my case the tape would rub and unwind... so my fix did not work.

The pump was something like 7 dollars to replace. Simple fix.

If I was to do the number of cuts again - I'd get a 5 gallon bucket full of water and put the pump in there and make an overflow tube that takes water off the top of the wet saw pan and recircs it to the 5 gallon bucket. That way most of the clay and particulate would fall to the bottom of the tray or bucket and leave the pump with cleaner water to pump.... but that's me - I like complexity. When my pump was bad - I connected the water hose to the plumbing and ran it that way for 8 hours - ended up with a muddy mess under my feet but I made progress.

If you Join the email deal list at HF you will occasionally get a 15% off coupon. (actually rarely) - they used to have 20% coupons regularly 2 years ago or so.

Good luck with the Saw.

I'm still very happy with my HF cement mixer as well - I had intentions of selling it when the oven was done so I kept it very clean. But then used it several more times for benches, etc. It's still pretty clean, and it will go on the market when the concrete countertops are finished. (whenever that is....)

Christo

Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Christo,

Dmun tipped me that many with the saw had success with putting the pump in a bucket of clean water to increase efficiency, but your idea of creating a settling tank in the tray and then flowing the water back down into the bucket is indeed a good one!

I have indead signed up for HF's email and am anxiously awaiting a coupon! But if I end up getting brick before the coupon I am afraid I will most likely run out and just get the saw

I really do appreciate your response and thanks,
Travis
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Master Builder

Tempted Fate and fate won this time.

Put a coat of acrylic Stucco on the oven last night. 30% chance of rain for the following morning but I decided to go for it anyway. The nights are soon going to be too cold to use this kind of coating.

Got up early to look a the weather and of course! Rain on the radar. Had to build a quick shelter from whatever I could find - the paper is leftover tar paper from the flooring project earlier this year...

The Stucco went on very well - my base coat was not as even as it should have been, so I used more of the Stucco than I thought I would - 5 gallons just to cover the oven!!! Getting a smooth finish was harder than I thought but I got the hang of it.

Hard to see in the pic - but the pale yellow works really well with the brick colors. Couldn't decide on a color and saw one of them was the same name as my cat - so that was the deciding factor. Chloe is as happy with the color as any cat might be.

If the weather holds out - I'll try for the rest tomorrow!

Christo
Attached Thumbnails
Christo's Cucina-tent.jpg  

Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I didn't use the acrylic stucco, I used the stuff in the bag you have to mix, but it did take some getting used to. If you go too long it's hard to smooth. If you don't wait long enough, you just push it around. I felt like Goldilocks and porridge.

The pale yellow color is really nice. I'd have loved to try a color, but I'm getting used to the big white spaceship in the backyard here. The only colors you can get here are pumpkin, pink, and blah gray.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Apprentice

It looks great Christo. Very nice color! And a lovely improvised shelter, I might add

Travis
Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Nice color Christo -- I like the yellow; of course I should like it, as we painted our house yellow.

We went with traditional stucco (two coat not three), without the acrylic additives or the color.

Are you happy with the product?

Maybe we should make a poll around this topic -- modern vs. traditional stucco; color in or painted. There are good trade-offs both ways.

What do you think?
James

Old 11-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Master Builder

I think it's a good idea.

I went the acrylic route for a couple reasons:
  • I could not find pigments for traditional stucco in my area,
  • I saw pictures of cracked stucco on domes and was hoping the stretchy stuff would help.
  • I've painted concrete in the past and seen it flake off

Downsides -
  • quite expensive vs traditional stucco - 50 dollars for 5 gallons.
  • I'm not sure if its really much different than paint with sand in it...
  • Don't know if it's going to work better or last long at this point.
  • Sunfade may be an issue - I figure it's likely got the same pigments as house paint
Upsides -
  • Vairous textures available right out of the bucket - they have different sizes of agregate available so you can get a very smooth texture - or rough and draggy looking -
  • Colors - lots and lots of colors
  • long working time.

I think a poll on this would be interesting for sure.

Christo

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Apprentice

One thought would be to use Sakrete's surface bonding cement for the last structural coat. Its fiberglass reinforced, water resistant, 4000psi strength, and can be pigmented as it comes in both gray and white. After that I'd feel comfortable with any type of final coat that's water proof. It's designed to hold cinder block walls together without mortar and give it more structural strength. I've used it and it's just amazing how strong this stuff really is. I took two scrap pcs of block, butted them together, and then coated each side with just 1/8" of this bonding cement. The next day I broke the blocks apart but the joint stayed in tact! Very strong material and I would think that it would only help reduce/eliminate surface cracks.

I'm going to use this as the final layer on mine just before I finish it with tile.