Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   ChristopherBlair's 36" Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/christopherblairs-36-oven-2320.html)

ChristopherBlair 07-31-2007 01:38 PM

ChristopherBlair's 36" Oven

Hi Guys,
a few weeks ago i started building my oven and am ready to lay the hearth and build the dome. the problem i have is when my wife called a building supply company in the area who is a Heat Stop carrier, they had the 50lb. bags for sale. Now we call to check on availability and they only carry the premixed buckets. will these be okay to use? the woman on the phone said they would (conservatively) cover about 100-140 bricks with thin joints. i really cant afford to put too much more money into shipping and such, so my options are very limited. maybe make my own?
i am in the Cincinnati area, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
ChristopherBlair
p.s. love the group and i hope to be posting my progress photos here shortly.

wlively 07-31-2007 01:45 PM

Re: ChristopherBlair's 36" Oven

Here is a link to all the Rumsford (HeatStop) dealers in Ohio. Hopefully someone close will have it.

Rumford Dealers

I was told by the dealer not to use the premix buckets, it does not handle water well, so being outside would be a problem. It is also less forgiving with mortar joint size, requires smaller gaps. Dry is also cheaper.

Good luck,

dmun 07-31-2007 01:47 PM

Don't use the pre-mix. It's completely different stuff, and doesn't harden into a waterproof seal like dry-mix heat stop. Heat-stop is really easy to mix, much easier than plain masonry mortar. Call around for another supplier. Call every brickyard and stone supply in town. Some good building suppliers even stock it.

ChristopherBlair 07-31-2007 02:21 PM

Hi, Guys,
Thanks for the quick responses. I sent out an email to Rumsford to see if there were any other options. The closest dealer to me besides the Northern Kentucky one is in Kettering, Ohio an hour away. I would prefer not to drive that far, but i will if I have too.
Hopefully something will turn up. I will read through the forums a bit and research possibly mixing my own mortar if i need to. Is the self mixed not as solid to use or does it matter?
Thanks,
Christopher

RCLake 08-01-2007 01:24 PM

I just asked the same question on a different forum. I'm glad to get advise not to use the premix before it's to late. I'll have to continue calling to sell if I can find HeatStop50 in Texas

ChristopherBlair 08-01-2007 01:30 PM

Alrighty, Guys,
I have an update. I emailed a sales person from the Rumsford website and he located a place nearby that carrys. They have to order it for me. Down side is it's $83.60 a bag:eek:
I think this is the best i will do in this area. I called a bunch of places and no one really knows what i ma talking about.
I have seen the prices other people have paid and how they fluctuate. It's a shame it is that expensive. You cant help but feel ripped off.
Thanks for your responses. Onward i go with the dome and i am sure i will have more questions for you guys.
Christopher

Kemo 08-06-2007 11:23 AM

at almost 84 dollars a bag, you could probably save some $$$ by ordering the REFMix from Forno Bravo where each 22lb bag is $35.00.

EDIT: Two 22lbs bags would be $70, after shipping might be comparable in price to the 50lb bag of heatstop.

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/RefMix-p-16154.html

redbricknick 08-06-2007 12:36 PM

Different forum? Get refmix. It rules.

ChristopherBlair 08-13-2007 10:57 AM

Hey, Guys,
I had a quick question. I obtained Heat Stop 50 and have begun the dome and am on course three now. so all looks good. my question is, instead of a stainless steel pipe or clay flue liner, could an antique chimney pot be used as a chimney? i see there are some in my area for sale and i might be able to get them cheap.
i wondered if i would have to first build a brick transition then place the pot on top or if i could just set it acros the span on some angle iron pieces. the chimney pots i have seen are 28 to 36" in height. not sure on diameter yet.
any thoughts or ideas?
thanks,
Chrsitopher

DrakeRemoray 08-13-2007 12:28 PM

Good question! I looked into some old chimney pots and they were too expensive and generally very large. If you could find an afforable one that was the right size, I am sure it would add a great design element. OK, but I did not answer your question...can the chimney pot stand up to the direct heat or would it need to be lined or something? I am not sure...I would think it would be fine, I mean that is what they are designed for (I suppose). I think I would call up the folks here Chimney Pots from ChimneyPot.com-Home Page and see what they say...

Drake