Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: ChristopherBlair's 36" Oven

I think that antique chimney pots, good looking as they are, are made from plain terra-cotta (fired clay) rather than refractory material, meaning they should be used pretty far from intense heat. It's one thing to break a six dollar length of flue tile, another to crack a hundred dollar plus antique. They are made in reproduction out of the fire-brick material, but they are almost as expensive as the originals.

As far as the fire brick transition, it really helps the draw. Once your fire's started you won't need it as much, but if you want to keep smoke out of your face, and smoke stains off the front of your oven enclosure, a transition is a must.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Serf

Thanks, Guys!

I will forget the chimney pot and try to locate the insulated stainless steel chimney systems or clay flue liner locally.
how much is everyone paying for clay flue liners anyway? i have not seen any pricing on these at the builder supply places yet.

thanks,
Christopher
Old 08-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Serf

Hi, guys,
quick question. i have done two courses of brick so for on my dome and have kept wet sheets over it since we finished working last saturday. i notice when i inspect the mortar it is solid, but you can scrape some off the surface with your fingernail. it feels moist to the touch but by no means weak or anything. is this normal?
also can i take the wet sheets off and let the sun hit it and dry out or jst keep it wet until i resume working?
thanks,
Christopher
Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Journeyman

I used HeatStop and yes you can take the wet cover off after 24 hrs.

I did not prevent my mortar from air drying after 24 hrs, so I can't say if what you report is normal. For me the transition was from soft wet, to firm wet, to very firm surface grains rubbed off damp, to hard as a rock dry. And after a week a drying it was stronger than the brick itself. Unfortunately I know this because I had to hack out my first attempt at the dome arch and even when I hit the mortar seem square on with the pointed end of a masonary hammer, the brick gave way first. The HeatStop dealer told me the ,mortar is not finally or totally cured until it is heated by firing so I can't imagine my dome ever failing at this point.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Master Builder

Christopher

clay flu liners are pretty cheap, I think I paid several dollars for an 8" by 10" segment one foot tall, my source was a company called Mutual Materials.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Serf

Thanks!
I am letting it air dry now since it has been a week. i checked this morning and it seems to be drying out and less is scraping off the surface.
thanks for the info on the clay flue liner. i was hoping it would'nt cost me a fortune if i go that way.
i appreciate the time you guys give to rookies like me answering our questions.
thanks,
Christopher
Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Serf

Hi, Guys,
I just realized as i was looking at my almost finished dome with joy that i made a boo-boo on the oven opening. it was supposed to be only 12 inches high, but i cut the brick wrong and it is about 13.5 inches tall!
the opening is 19 inches wide, but i am afraid this might let too much heat out. would this be the case in your opinion?
I will looking at it tomorrow to think of some ideas. the opening is fully created and i have maybe four more courses to go before it is closed in.
i can probably make some adjustments to it if it will hinder the ovens performance.
thanks,
Christopher
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Apprentice

You could always "dry lay" two firebricks on their tall side on each end of the opening to see if it makes a difference....if it does, mortar them in later.

-- Yogi Berra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

How high is your dome?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Serf

Hi guys,
the dome is 18" high. i could grind the amount away from the opening bricks and lay a piece of angle iron across for the top of my doorway, but i am worried this will cause problems with draw because the smoke will travel up then hit the angle iron then have to go under that then to the vent.
just for perspective, i laid a piece of angle iron on its points on the 13.5" tall door opening bricks and laid my dome bricks on that resting the inside edges on flat iron.
i can provide a drawing tomorrow if needed for visual.
thanks,
Christopher