Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirobuggy View Post
Thanks KB, You're right, my father in law is a machinist
1. When I lay the fireclay/sand down I think the consensus is to do that dry (no water) So just pile up some of the mixture on top of my Calsil and screed it out and start laying/tapping? What about the edges of the Calsil where the soldier course goes, there too? or should I mortar the soldier course? I couldn't find any pictures of that process on other builds that I could remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I need some advice setting the floor on fire clay sand mortar bed.
Should I wet the CB?
Should I start the floor in the middle, side, front, back?
Should I cover the entire area with the sand fire clay or just a portion at a time?
Quote:
Butter was not an option
Quote:
I made so progress since my big scare on Friday. After the floor was set and first course lay I found some rocking in floor, which I did not like. Thinking about a tear down at this point,
Chirobuggy,
It's great having a machinist in the family. My brother is a machinist, although he is in Ohio.

I included the beginning of a few posts of mine dealing with the floor sand clay deboggled of mine starting at post 116. Click on the little blue arrow to take you to the original posts. They are many helpful comments from other dealing with this. I was very frustrated and disgusted at the time, but now I feel very happy with my final outcome of my floor. Have a question let me know.

Hope this helps.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Thanks Kb...you da man!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Bruce,
No sander involved, just play sand purchased at the local home improvement store. The fire brick and substrate is not perfect has some imperfections causing misalignments and unevenness.
Here the beginning of another post in case you miss it, might help with the your floor. I noticed you had lots of joint in you insulation boards

KB

Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Laborer

Quote:
2. When mixing the Heatstop50 how much should I mix up for each course? I would assume that it would be better to mix only what is needed for the course as its ready to be set...or brick by brick?? Anyone have a kind of general rule of thumb recipe for a course batch amount? I have 2 bags and don't want to waste any.
I'm using Heatstop as well and started laying bricks a couple weeks ago. It is my first brick laying experience. I would start by mixing a small amount for just a few bricks and see how it goes. It will begin to set up before (go off) before too long and you will end up wasting it if you mix too much. You will not be able to lay an entire course with a single batch IMO. The smaller batches also helps you develop a 'feel' for the right consistency. For what it's worth, I've got about 6 courses done and just started my second bag.

Link to my build:
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the help guys I worked today on the floor cuts and setting up the HF saw and getting the hang of some cuts. Ready to cut, place, and mortar some soldiers this weekend. Yes

I was using a bunch of plagiarized info from the forum to get up to this point. Specifically Dino's floor layout and, well most of the info he has been generous to post. (Love your oven Dino) He has an enclosed oven though and a "squished dome" according to his posts. Mine will be an igloo and I believe I am going with a 21inch height on the dome...mostly because I am not sure how to do a squished dome like he has posted when using an IT like when to change the length etc. Anyway, because of this I have been rethinking the entry and arch bricks some and have spent some time spinning my wheels about that.

I do feel like I finally got some stuff done though...Take a look
Attached Thumbnails
Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build-20130606_132119.jpg   Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build-20130606_185649.jpg   Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build-20130606_185724.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Master Builder

Thumbs up Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Looking good........

KB

Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Master Builder

Ps, some say that a soldier course needs buttressing .........Something to think about

KB

Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Peasant

Thanks KB.. That's the info I'm mulling over right now. Seen some posts where people say they need buttressing and the arguments about that in the posts. someone posted this link (sorry don't remember who right now sorry or I would have given the credit) concerning the science of arch/dome:

Auroville Earth Institute

So right now I'm toiling with that choice and also whether I want a flared entry or just do a straight one that allows a 1 inch reveal still. I know it should be easier to put the door on with a flared opening....but how hard could it be to just put a door in the enter through a "hallway that is larger in side and top dimensions by say 3/4 inch?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
So right now I'm toiling with that choice and also whether I want a flared entry or just do a straight one that allows a 1 inch reveal still. I know it should be easier to put the door on with a flared opening....but how hard could it be to just put a door in the enter through a "hallway that is larger in side and top dimensions by say 3/4 inch?
I think that the reveal could be as great as the width of a full firebrick. That would give you all the room of a flare without the intimidation.

This one was notched to set partially over the inner arch to allow for a heat-break.

I didn't complete mine exactly as in the layout shown, but I still have the same amount of entry clearance.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Peasant

So got some done on the oven despite 106 temp. Thought i would do some mortar but didnt attempt in the heat. Did a lot of thinking though and got the soldiers cut. Now trying to wrap my head around the compound brick cutting. Need measurements for cutting bricks on first course with jcg31 or mrchipsters method posted. I get the idea but dont know where to place line for cut when setting up the jig for the first course.

Thanks for the input guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build-20130609_164216.jpg   Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build-20130609_164208.jpg