Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Yes I used the fixed length IT to mark the brick insides to match the dome inside and the string was used to mark the angle of the sides I'd the brick. I marked the string where the outer dimension of the dome came to and was able to mark the back sloping angle quite easily.

I hope this makes sense.

Before laying the next brick up I would transfer the dimensions of the lower brick's top side to the bottom of the upper brick and that seemed to work quite well.

Thank you for your kind words.

Chip
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Peasant

Chip

I really like your build and your innovation. Do you have any pics of the jig for your saw? It sounds like what I am looking for as i begin to start cutting.

Gregg
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garch View Post
Chip

I really like your build and your innovation. Do you have any pics of the jig for your saw? It sounds like what I am looking for as i begin to start cutting.

Gregg
I will post photos of the jig tomorrow as it is to late tonight to drag it out.

Chip
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are the Jig photos I promised.

The jig is Built on a 2 x 8 piece of lumber. I cut a groove about 1 inch wide in the center of the board to allow clearance for the blade and also allowing the angled tables to swing up without hitting each other. Each table has two hinges placed along the groove.

On the inside corner nearest the saw, I drilled a hole for the angle bars that are attached to the top of each table. The bolt that goes through the hole is snugged up tight so that the arms do not move freely. Because they are tight they stay in position easily. You may want to add a clamp at the end of the the angle bar to more firmly hold it in position.

I screwed shims to the 2 x 8 to position the table in a horizontal. To make up for the thickness of the hinges.

I put pieces of brick underneath the table on each side to elevate the table into the angle I want.

The last photo shows how I make the table the same angle on both sides, I just measure up from the board equidistant from the saw blade in my case 9 inches away and if the left side is elevated 2 inches, then I just make the right side elevated 2 inches at the same 9 inch distance from the saw blade.

It took less than an hour to make this table and it has saved me a great deal of time.

BTW the hinges look strange because they are from a folding door and not real standard. They were just something I had lying around.

I hope this helps.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-1.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-2.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-3.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-4.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-5.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-18-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was having a difficult time deciding how to tackle the last few chains and decided I would go all in...

The sharp V shapes were driving me crazy. So I decided that at chain 15 I would grind the bricks into a circular shape. That way bricks placed on top could be easily ground into an arc on both the top and the bottom.

This worked out extremely well as you can see from the photos.

The real beauty of this method is that I could use larger bricks. And not have as many lined up seams.

It wasn't that difficult with an abrasive grinding wheel on my 4 inch hand grinder to create the arcs. I was able to place the bricks side-by-side to get a nice continuous arc I think you'll agree.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-curves_1.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-curves_2.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-curves_7.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-curves_8.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-curves_5.jpg  

dvm likes this.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-18-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The dome is closed and the 3 piece key is in.

The mortar and bricks are still wet so the photo is not perfect but I will take another picture once it's dry.

Time for a beer.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-key_5.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-key_3.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-key_1.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Peasant

Chip, thanks for the pictures and explanation.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garch View Post
Chip, thanks for the pictures and explanation.
No problem I hope others can take advantage of this also, the idea came from another similar design presented on this site. So I cannot claim anything unique here.

BTW the angle of the arms is almost always 4-5 degrees but the slope of the plywood boards increases dramaticly as you go up in chains.

Chip.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I found a number of pin head sized voids in the mortar after cleaning the inside of the oven so I went in to patch them. Very simple but boy is that opening small for someone my size.

I had to take a flashlight in with me because not enough light came in when my middle (OK beer belly) got in the way.

One nice thing is you can see how well my 3 piece keyway turned out.

I am really happy with it.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-2.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-5-1.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-3.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-4.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-20-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
so I went in to patch them.
Why........?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.