Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Quote:
She is a big old Norton Clipper that takes every electron out of a 20 amp circuit
Now that's a beast! Bet she sounds good too!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Now that's a beast! Bet she sounds good too!
Nice smooth powerful dual belt drive wonder - it just hums and does not slow for anything I toss at it.

I keep my hands in safe positions because I know it would not care if it was cutting brick, stone flesh or bone.

Chip
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Today was slow but I learned a few things building the inner arch might not be as easy as it looks. And there are some easy lessons to be learned.

As you will see from some of the photos that I took. I learned that transferring the top of the previous brick geometry to the next brick above was easy to do once the lower brick was cut. That way it was easy to set up for the cuts for the upper brick. Using my indispensable tool, I was able to then determine the cuts for the upper brick on its topside. The photos will show, the markings made to the lower and upper bricks and the shapes translated.

I am now at chain five, and will begin making my inverted V cuts on the next level.

The chain five bricks are almost identical to the chain four bricks. and I had a few extras from chain four, so I cut chain five identical to chain four.

The transition bricks to the inner arch are quite easy to cut because of the techniques being used.

I finished my first bag of FB mortar today. I have been mixing it in batches of approximately 24 ounces volume measure. And I am able to lay somewhere between six and nine bricks with that amount of mortar. I always seem to throw away or waste a little bit of mortar by either dropping it, having a dry out, or there's just not enough left to place another brick.
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-1-2.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-1.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-3-2.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-photo-2-2.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Apprentice

Chip,

I had the same leftover mortar problem; I just smeared it on the outside of the dome for additional thermal mass...

Your arch is looking good

gene
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have been out of town and did not make any progress for several days -- but progress was made last night and today.

First I would like to address the hand tools I use to work on the oven - Photo attached

1) Rubber coated gloves. - These are used to handle bricks when moving them, cutting them and mortaring them into place. They are very rough and the glove keep your skin in place.

2) Marking pens and pencils - Permanent marker - I lake the large sharpie it holds up for about 1 day of marking bricks and leaves a nice line on the brick that does not wash off from the wet saw spray. Cons - not real accurate.

Pencils - for precision marking and taking notes. if you use on brick it will need sharpened often but it will wash off so no permanent marks to worry about.

3) 8oz measuring cup. and not shown a 24 oz plastic yogurt container. Used to provide a precise measure of dry mortar and water so my mix is always consistent. - Also not shown - I put a 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug in the freezer 1/2 full of water. that way I can add water if it is fully frozen or pour very cold water for mixing with mortar. Mortar will stay usable longer if mixed with cold water.

4) Stainless mixing bowl - 2 of these one for cleaning and one for mixing small batches of mortar. why stainless - it does not break and is very easy to clean

5) Small drywall knife - nice for cleaning up and pushing around mortar.

6) Hand Lotion - Put on before during and after working with mortar. it will save your hands.

7) Silicone Spatula - I prefer this over a masons trowel for these small bricks and odd angles.

8) Angle tool - Measures angle of bricks and shims I use to angle bricks on the brick saw.

9) Bullet level - Checks for level on short distances.

10) 36" level - Level of longer distances - I also have a 6 ft level that I use.

11) Rubber Hammer - Perfect for nudging the bricks into place and squeezing out the mortar. many light taps are better than a few hard smacks. Also pushing on the brick while tapping works very well.

12) 3M scrub pad - makes short work of partialy set mortar

13) Sponge - I prefer a grout sponge with rounded edges but you may have other preferences.

14) Towel - used to dampen bricks - clean up floor of oven and wipe down bricks etc...

15) String attached to magnet - Used to measure from center of oven to inner and outer sides of bricks also checks angle for brick cuts. Hint- mark the string with permanent marker at inner and outer walls of oven for quick check of dimensions.

16) Indispensable tools with brick holders. - Using the ball bearing center and magnets for positioning More than one tool can be use at a time. Set one brick, set the second brick on the opposite side of the oven and by the time you are done setting the second brick the first tool is ready to be removed.

17) Measuring tool with magnet ends - This tool is set to the internal radius of the oven and is used to check and mark positions and locations. It can also be used to hold a brick in place so it does not slip into the oven. With magnets on both ends it can be used to hold metal objects like knife blades and mechanical pencils, etc...

18) Plastic door and window shims (not shown) - I also use plastic door and window shims on the wet saw to position the bricks for cutting. Home Depot sells packs for a couple of bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-tools_1.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-10-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Today's progress

Up to chain 7 with inner arch bricks in place. _Still need a little clean up of a couple of the Arch bricks with the grinder - When they were mortared in they did not fit exactly as planned and need some trimming but I need to have the mortar firm up a bit befor hitting them with the grinder.

I pre-cut the Inner arch bricks into a wedge shape and then custom cut each brick as I went until I reached chain 7 and then closed in the inner arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Chip's 42 in Minnesota-arch_ch5_1.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-arch_ch5_8.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-arch_comp_in_3.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-arch_comp_5.jpg   Chip's 42 in Minnesota-int_wall_ch7_1.jpg  

Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hint of the day.

When applying mortar to bricks and when tapping them into place have your mortar container (in my case SS bowl) directly under the work area, That way mortar that squeezes out or is dropped will fall right back into the bowl.

Chip
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Journeyman

It's coming along...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hand lotion!!!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Hand lotion!!!?
Ya Sure ... You Bet Ya!!!

I have mortared up to chain 9 and have not worn gloves and my hands a baby soft. and my nails are not cracking. You should try it. Best kept secret for concrete work passed along from a friend of mine named Erik (Frenchie).

Chip