Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

I closed the dome yesterday.

The last couple of courses were a bit tricky - trimming and fitting bricks took a bit of time. It's not the prettiest closure - but those bricks are in there solid. The mortar you see is really just a gap filler - the bricks touch each other most of the way up through the dome.

I started to pour a thin slurry coat over the dome - and I'll probably burn through the rest of my homebrew covering the dome.

I'm moving on to the out arch / flue this week.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Journeyman

Nice Job. I think that is the best feeling in the world (closing the dome).

Mike
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Peasant

Nice, the finished dome looks great! I'm about to start the 8th course on my oven and seeing your progress has me pumped.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Apprentice

awesome work so far, and that keystone looks like its working really well! looking forward to the rest of the build! keep it up! and more pics!!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Apprentice

I've made a bit more progress. I completed the outer arch and installed the clay flue. I'll add another 18" section after I get the walls / roof framed.

After a few days at rest - I lit a small curing fire in the oven.

The draw was pretty good - the fire was not very hot and the flue likely didn't get hot enough for a really good draw . . . we'll see what happens when I light bigger fires.

We had some good rains here yesterday (it's not supposed to rain in California in the summer . . . ) so I'm going to get back on the wagon and light another fire tonight.

I can almost smell the pizza . . .
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Apprentice

That first fire must feel amazing, makes me want to have a sick day and go home to work on the oven.

And wow.. you live next to buckingham palace? :P
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great-looking oven, 'Steak. I really like the round arches of your entryway. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Apprentice

Well . . . I've made some more progress in the 100 degree heat.

I didn't like the draw with the 8" clay flue liner (6" inside diameter) - so I ripped it out and went and picked up some 8x13 oval clay flue liner. Installed and draws like a champ.

Lit another fire - a bit bigger this time.

I also wrapped the dome in insulating blanket (that stuff is nasty) and framed the enclosure with steel studs. I wanted an overhang in the front - because I built the stand to accommodate a counter in front.

I added some reinforcement here and there, cut the OSB roof sheeting and installed.

I don't know if I should be concerned at all with the opening for the clay liner. I've got steel studs around 1" off the liner, and set the wood roof around 2 1/2 - 3" back from the liner, and wrapped some of the insulating blanket between the liner and wood sheeting. My plan is to construct a metal / concrete board / cultured stone chimney with a real stone chimney cap.

Any reason I should be concerned about the clay liner? I'm going to have several air vents in the enclosure for ventilation.

Thanks - and Happy 4th to those in the U.S.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 07-04-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Journeyman

I'm jealous with the progress you are making and the great build! Just simply beautiful! I am not jealous with the 100 degree temps for sure! I was hoping to be further along a avoid hot weather myself. Great job!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Apprentice

Thanks . . .

After some thought - I've decided to undo some of what I've done and enclose the clay flue liner. I'm going to wrap it in the ceramic blanket insulation and enclose it with a concrete board enclosure.

Yesterday - I took off the roof sheeting and some metal supports, and cut one of the trusses so I can install the concrete board enclosure.

I hope to get the enclosure finished and installed tonight after work. It's only going to be 99 degrees today . . .

One step forward, two steps back . . .

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 07-06-2011 at 09:29 AM.