Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

azpizzanut and brickie - thanks for the tip on the shims - good idea.

Les - I originally thought to notch the bricks like that - but once I got some half-bricks stacked on my form - I thought - why not just build this half-brick arch. and then build the flue/outer arch just a bit bigger. That way - I wouldn't have to notch any bricks.

Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
azpizzanut and brickie - thanks for the tip on the shims - good idea.

Les - I originally thought to notch the bricks like that - but once I got some half-bricks stacked on my form - I thought - why not just build this half-brick arch. and then build the flue/outer arch just a bit bigger. That way - I wouldn't have to notch any bricks.

Thoughts?
Even though I haven't placed one brick! (in other words - no experience behind my next statement) Notching the bricks not only looks good, has less joints to crack, but also is a narrowing of the heat transfer passage to the vent area. Notching the brick will narrow the brick thus constricting heat flow.
Anyone- does this make sense?????

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Apprentice

Well - I went ahead and built the oven entry arch. Time to get going on courses . . . .

Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Apprentice

I see you moved well past this issue - and it's looking great!
Did you ever get an answer on the width?
What did you finally decide?
I'm figuring 68" but I'm going to use 8" bricks, not 9".
I'll still use 69", that will give me a little margin for error.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
I see you moved well past this issue - and it's looking great!
Did you ever get an answer on the width?
What did you finally decide?
I'm figuring 68" but I'm going to use 8" bricks, not 9".
I'll still use 69", that will give me a little margin for error.

Jeff
Jeff - I just went with the 65" width - and it looks like everything will fit (tightly) . . . It's only "close" at the base of the dome and only at that one point where it's at its widest - so I'm not really concerned.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Hey Cheesesteak,
Works for me vent arch a little bigger.

Cheers Doug
Doug - that's exactly what I intend to do. I recall seeing your pictures and wondering why more people don't build that way - it looks so much easier and efficient than notching all the entry bricks.

Your oven looks great - it looks like you didn't bevel and bricks in the dome - at least early on. Is that correct?

thanks -
Dan
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

Form pulled - still standing! This thing is solid. I've sprayed down the mortar a few times over the past 24 hours to keep it curing - I don't want anything giving . . .

Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Hey Dan,
If you meant did I taper any of the bricks, I didn't for the first few courses then I started to taper just one side for the next few courses. I only tapered the bricks on their sides not the top and bottom, for the last courses I had to taper both sides.
Dan could I suggest that if you intend having a decorative arch that you cut back to a single brick for your vent arch that way your entry won't be to deep. Mine is nice and shallow and is easy to work with and I don't get any smoke out the front.
Looking Good.

Cheers Doug
Thanks Doug. Yes - I'm going to do a decorative arch out of stone. I just looked again at the pictures of your arch and I'm going to do the same thing. Great idea with the bricks turned so the "thinner" profile shapes the outer arch.

More work tonight when I get home from work . . .
Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Apprentice

I mortared my first course on top of the hearth bricks.

I debated a bit about using the "indispensable tool" versus cutting a quarter-circle / arch to use as a form - and decided to give the indispensable tool a shot. I've seen so many variations of this thing - I thought I'd try to put together something simple - and very inexpensive.

So . . . I walked around HD a bit and let things find me. I ended up with a low-duty gate hinge, a piece of poplar, and a 90 degree Simpson StrongTie angle bracket. I wanted to use a gate hinge because I thought that I could construct the tool in such a way as to have a 21" radius at the bottom but reduce it to around 19 1/2 - 20" at the top. I'm amazed at how well this thing works. Took me around 10 minutes to build and cost a whopping $3.00 and change.

I tested it and ran it up and around the entry arch - and all of my dome bricks will contact the arch. So - my little Google SketchUp exercise really worked quite well (Arch Location (Locating the arch????))

Course 2 tonight . . .
seattlecaveman likes this.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 05-04-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Journeyman

Cheesesteak,

That's how you do it. I made mine from materials I had at hand. Yours will work just fine.

Cheers,