Old 12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Chch NZ build

John,

I dropped some rebar into the hearth and then used cored bricks to "beef" everything up. I'm having no issues. I really don't know if it was needed but it seemed like the safe thing to do.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
John,

I dropped some rebar into the hearth and then used cored bricks to "beef" everything up. I'm having no issues. I really don't know if it was needed but it seemed like the safe thing to do.

Les...
thanks for the info.
I thinkyour solution may be difficult for me unless i dismantle a significant number of bricks. I guess an option is to double up the vent walls or change my planned igloo for an enclosure with lateral support form the structure.
I am not intending to put any other load on the outer arch as i intend to support the vent on the side walls and inner arch / dome.
I am suprised there are not more threads reporting problems re outer arch.
Hopefully a few more builders are willing to share their knowledge and experience.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
John,

Les...
Just checked out your pictures - very useful. I think that will allow me to proceed and if i need to add the extra decorative arch / brick work. I do have room for it although it will take away the oven landing that i had earmarked for a counter.
At what stage did you decide to add the extra brickwork - or was it your intention from the off?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John,

I think the decision to add it came after I realized how much weight I was going to put on top of the entry way.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Laborer

I went ahead and built the outer arch. I may well end up having to build and extra decorative arch and reinforce the vent walls to add more stability. If i do this i will use bricks the same as our house to coordinate. The outer arch turned out okay although i am even more concerned as to its ability to stand up to the stress and strains of repeated heat cycles. I removed the form after about an hour and cleaned up the grout lines.
hopefully we have had our aftershock for the day having had a big one this morning!! About 3.2 on the Richter scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Chch NZ build-p1040688.jpg  
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John French View Post
and reinforce the vent walls to add more stability.
You sure will, gravity will win and push the arch towards the ground.
The arch will want to flatten out with gravity, its a fact.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Laborer

After a pause for thought I have resolved to fit a stainless steel flue. The availability of clay liners was nil, and to order a 10 inch one was not available for immediate delivery. Having seen some builds with the SS flue left exposed I am considdering that option. Although to build a brick chimney which will also reinforce the outer arch may become a necessity. The key for me was the ability to proceed with the vent installation asap - I was also able to get a good deal by buying direct from a flue fabricating factory.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Laborer

Finished the brick vent today. After spending a long time thinking about the construction it is slightly disappointing to report that i would do it differently given the chance. However, although not perfect i think it will be adequate. I need to cut and fit brick to act as a shoe for the SS flue.
Does anyone know whether it is best to mortar the flue in or leave it 'loose' so it can expand freely?
If the latter how is it best to seal it?

Photos now added - be kind!
Attached Thumbnails
Chch NZ build-p1040693.jpg   Chch NZ build-p1040695.jpg  

Last edited by John French; 12-19-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wheres the pics?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Serf

Hi John,

I've started an oven build in Hamilton, New Zealand but you're much more advanced than I am. It's good to find another kiwi working on a similar project so I can ask some questions! Did you use regular cement mortar for the arch or did you use refractory mortar?

Cheers!
Andrew