Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Chch NZ build

Nice looking dome.

dave

Last edited by DaveW; 12-09-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Master Builder

Doesn't that feel so GOOD! Placing in that plug...what a sense of accomplishment. Congratulations John...it looks great.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the correction of terminology, I wasn't aiming to confuse anyone.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Laborer

Couldn't agree more. In spite of reading a lot from this forum it can't replace first hand experience. I reckon my next dome would be easier and technically better. Still hopefully this will work as an oven okay - seems like quite a bit to do yet.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Laborer

Hi there John
Good job, must be a good feeling to have the dome completed.... I have just got the pavers for my dome and are going to make a start on Monday or Tuesday. I am not sure of the reason behind a off set as opposed to a center I tool. Can you explain in simple terms the diff and why you chose the off set one. I was going to use a support system but feel that the free laying of the bricks is the way to go... always up for a challenge.
Cheers
Kris
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Laborer

By using a hinge from the centre with the I tool attached it meant that instead of describing a circulat arc it will produce an ellipse and therefore generate a lower height. My original though was to produce a lower dome than puely hemispherical one. However, I only used the i tool as a guide rather than as a brick placement device and not at all for the upper chains.
There are some good examples on the forum with more detailed information.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Laborer

Spent the weekend mainly planning and revisiting design ideas re the outer arch and vent. It was really difficult to resolve some concepts. In the end i decided to follow a previous build with a flared opening and although this meant a few tricky cuts on a tile saw the outcome was okay. I am worried about the stability of the vent walls as the arch is built but hopefully it will be able to withstand the lateral forces even though there does not seen to be too much holding the structure up. I am down to my last 6 bricks and so i am trying to estimate how many extras i will need for the vent and support for the flue. Not sure what the chimney will be contsrtucted of yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Chch NZ build-p1040686.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You will need to provide some sort or lateral support otherwise it will all just collapse over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
You will need to provide some sort or lateral support otherwise it will all just collapse over time.
Agreed!!! Mine held up fine till I put some heat to it then I started to get cracks and loose arch bricks.

This is my before and after. In the first picture you can see the cracks in the key joints and at the bottom of the arch where I got spread you can see where the arch pushed out
Attached Thumbnails
Chch NZ build-img_2118.jpg   Chch NZ build-img_2137.jpg  

Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 12-13-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Laborer

Hmm! That was a worry for me. I did a seach on vent wall collapses and found no real help there. I concluded ( falsly it would seem ) that there wasn't a general problem. I will trevist some other builds and look to find a way of improving lateral support.
Note your extra support, FIV , with extra bricks in front of arch and floor.

Any other thoughts out there?