Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Serf

Default Re: charliefarley's UK build

Hi Joe,

I got it from Liam at kilnlinings.co.uk

A few people over here have been using thermolite blocks as under floor insulation. If I was doing it again I'd be tempted to use the blocks as well as ceramic fibre board.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Serf

I want to build a gabled house construction over my oven. Most people on this forum use metal studs for framework, but these are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK. They obviously represent much less of a fire hazard compared to using a timber (lumber) framework, but with a plywood top or batons to nail the roof tiles on isn't this negated?

Got the fifth and sixth courses on - nearly there! UK bricks are 3" high so need less brick courses to complete the dome than US ones.
Attached Thumbnails
charliefarley's UK build-r0012057.jpg   charliefarley's UK build-r0012067.jpg   charliefarley's UK build-r0012066.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Apprentice

My god! You have "raised the bar" (or dome ) on the quality of brick work! Great looking build!

~Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Most people on this forum use metal studs for framework, but these are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK.
I thought dimensional lumber was the exotic imported item in Europe. You could always build up your enclosure with 4" (100mm) thick concrete blocks, or those terra cotta structural tiles that we can't get here in the US.

As to your rafter question, a lot of folks use steel framing for the rafters, too. As to the difference, it's a little farther away from the heat source. Someone once pointed out that you could build the entire enclosure out of wood, the worst case scenerio in a free standing oven it that you'd have to rebuild it if it caught fire.

I have an entirely wooden superstructure on top of my oven, but I also have a four inch thick concrete slab between the oven and the wood, which was primarily built to support the two story masonry chimney.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Apprentice

Very nice, Charley! That is some beautiful brickwork!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Serf

Thank you Bob and CB.

I was planning on building the walls using block, but I thought if I left enough space around the chimney that wooden rafters would be ok.

Quote:
Someone once pointed out that you could build the entire enclosure out of wood, the worst case scenerio in a free standing oven it that you'd have to rebuild it if it caught fire.
Yeah, I suppose the worst that could happen is I lose the rafters, perhaps a few broken roof tiles and some molten lead flashing, plus sorting out whatever made it catch fire in the first place.
Having no experience with metal stud work I think I'll go the wood route.

Anybody have any ideas of good use for firebrick dust? I must have nearly 20kg of the stuff now. Other than using it in the dome mortar - purely for esthetic reasons I want to keep the dome mortar the same colour. Could I use it to clad the exterior of the dome?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Serf

Got the dome finished with a slightly different last course and key brick.
I had four bricks over from the course before that left me with a square for the key, so I cut some quadrants to fill the gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
charliefarley's UK build-r0012069.jpg   charliefarley's UK build-r0012071.jpg   charliefarley's UK build-r0012078.jpg   charliefarley's UK build-r0012079.jpg   charliefarley's UK build-r0012080.jpg  

Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Master Builder

Congratulations and nicely done! I like the look of the dome top.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Apprentice

Wow! I'm very impressed with your dome and especially your transition. Well done!

My projects:
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Serf

Kind words Mark, although not at all true.