Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Central Texas Build

If you are building the floor inside the dome consider starting the dome with a split. That way your peel will not get caught in the joint at the floor level.

Wish I had done this.

Chip
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Laborer

Location: Central Texas. Dripping Springs, just west of Weird!

Thanks Chip,

Great tip, i called MPI and they have splits so I will pick some up today. These kinds of tips are something you envision until after the fact. I appreciate you sending this one my way!

moT
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is a good tip, I will remember that one.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Laborer

Here are some beginning photos. I think I figured out how to post pix from my iPad.Showing "in the beginning" how I notched the block so the lintels could also support the limestone stand cover later. The "Boss'ton", she's almost 15 and supervised us through the heat. My friend filling the cavities in the stand. Some of the steel before the hearth pour. My friend said he needed to find a buddy into origami or noodle art or something, my stuff is too much work!
Attached Thumbnails
Central Texas Build-d80502808144b1a4d4d1db35cebef179.jpg   Central Texas Build-40590617c14ec5da5d450b50e4b36658.jpg   Central Texas Build-89f119a8be6a90e9ad04fc11648d8f92.jpg   Central Texas Build-ddfdac6148087fde0496e42ff17585cc.jpg   Central Texas Build-2757a2dc4f04e2b9d1f1ae98678578cb.jpg  

Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Laborer

Here's my buddy and his wife as we finished mixing 64 bags of Quikcrete, the slab and the end of the day! Best part is.... He doesn't drink beer! I've been known to though. Great friends, they spent their entire labor day helping me. He gets my IT and floor form after the build and we start his oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Central Texas Build-186e14d549cc7e43aa63f50fcd421e09.jpg   Central Texas Build-dee57f2f1ed47e01859cc69af4c03699.jpg   Central Texas Build-a804824c6acb60d34ed643f563d386e2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Laborer

Hey pdqtom (tom? moT?) and Tscarborough!

I just joined the forum after devouring it over thanksgiving break. I'm deconstructing an old above-ground hottub that came with the house to get to the existing slab for my future brick oven in Lakeway! Glad to hear there are existing experts in my area to lean on. Tom, also glad to hear you like kegs, despite being filled with michelob ;-) .... might mean I can return favors via homebrew. I suspect there's a correlation between those willing to make a serious oven and a serious beer setup. And pizza e birra is just perfect.

Anyway, hope things are going well, I'll be following with interest!

Pfennig
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Laborer

Hey Pfennig,
Sorry for the so late reply! Busy with holidays family and Scouts. I stayed away from the forum so as not to get too anxious about starting up again. I'm just west of the Y about 5 miles towards Drippin'. Got my base finished and the only rain we had in the fall got my insulation wet and took a long time to dry it out. I built the roof over the oven base and gutters installed then the Holidays hit. Now I'm ready to cut brick and sling mortar. All my Scouts are bugging me about doing a pizza party so I need to get going again.
I'm not by any means an expert but would be glad to offer any help, observations or encouragement I can. Tscarbrough is a great guy and very knowledgeable as well as right here in Austin.
As for the keg, it used to be XX. Switched to a light beer as I was wearing to much of the Dos Equis! She that must be obeyed likes Ultra so there you go.

Good luck on your build,

moT

(Which is my brothers nickname for Tom)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Tom, a friend named Josh is opening a Neapolitan pizza joint right there by you called Pieous. He has an FB oven and should be open soon, stop by and say hi to him.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Laborer

Howdy Tscar,
Very cool! Pieous is about a mile from my house and we've been wondering when they would open. I heard a wf oven was going in and I was curious about it. I'll stop by and ask for Josh.
As you saw I'm back on the build. It's amazing how many things can compete with the attention needed to get back at it.

Thanks again for your help, past and future!

moT
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Laborer

Howdy all after a long pause with no updates. I have completed my dome and have a question about "cladding". I used Heatstop for my build but kept all the brick dust from cutting. I did not parge or add "cladding" as it is referred to here on the forum. I am waiting for chimney parts to be delivered and was wondering of the usefulness to make home brew with my dust and add a layer over the entire dome. I will post pix soon, as a lot has happened since my last post.

On another note, I have come to an acquaintance with a friend of a friend who fabricates metal. He has a water jet and came to see my build and sketched up a very cool "hood" instead of using an outer arch. The chimney will be in the normal position as if between the arches , except no outer arch. In visualizing in front of the oven now, it seems there is much better access to the oven without the tunnel of using two arches. I described what I had in my minds eye and he sketched it on a small note pad to a Tee. We will be incorporating a swinging insulated door and I am thinking of a swinging vent door on the other side of the opening. So you can choose which door is in use. All is going to be of stainless steel as the rest of my outdoor kitchen is stainless.
I'm thinking of using a granite or stainless entry floor as he can water cut any shape for me.

Any thoughts?

All this for a couple of beers and a promise of gluten free pizza for his wife when the oven gets fired!