Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Calcium silicate or ceramic fiber board

Al,

It a sin to scare the timid! Be nice, its a new year.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Only religious ppl have sins, I have no sins......
Laku likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
, Is that bad? Hopefully no water gets near it. Well its Cal sil and others have used these so i would think it should be ok?
My cal sil board has no holes in it, but it is quite porous. I've seen some cal sil board that is completely waterproof though. Try pouring some water over it and see what happens. Either way it will still be quite ok for insulating under your floor. An alternative is to use vermicrete and that stuff is very water absorbant. Go ahead.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Master Builder

Thanks guys, there is no turning back im using these.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Apprentice

I used the same product (although mine were largely smoother than the one you showed. I went with 4", and have no complaint. The underside of my slab stays at ambient temperature even when the oven is going full bore. It is fairly porous--I found it impossible to put the standard fireclay-sand-water leveling mix between the insulation and my floor bricks because the CalSil instantly sucked any moisture out of the mix.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
I used the same product (although mine were largely smoother than the one you showed. I went with 4", and have no complaint. The underside of my slab stays at ambient temperature even when the oven is going full bore. It is fairly porous--I found it impossible to put the standard fireclay-sand-water leveling mix between the insulation and my floor bricks because the CalSil instantly sucked any moisture out of the mix.

The picture only shows one board, hopefully the other 9 boards are better, i have not opened the box yet fully. So you were unsuccessful at leveling the brick? how about no using any water? would that help? Thanks for the info.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used only 1 layer of 2" Thermo-Gold 12 over 4" of vcrete. I did not see any bubbles in mine either. But since you are going with 2 layers you should be fine. I am sure that you have thought of this but, (if not), run the splices of each layer opposite directions.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I used only 1 layer of 2" Thermo-Gold 12 over 4" of vcrete. I did not see any bubbles in mine either. But since you are going with 2 layers you should be fine. I am sure that you have thought of this but, (if not), run the splices of each layer opposite directions.

Yup, i will do that. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandler View Post
It is fairly porous--I found it impossible to put the standard fireclay-sand-water leveling mix between the insulation and my floor bricks because the CalSil instantly sucked any moisture out of the mix.
Couldn't one just spray the Cal-Sil board with a silicone waterproofing spray before adding the fireclay leveling mix? That might slow down the water absorption enough to let the mix set properly.

What about lard or shortening or wax? It would fill the pores and prevent the board from absorbing the water from the leveling mix. I guess it would just melt into the Cal-Sil board when the oven is fired, and perhaps reduce the insulating property of the board. But with 4 inches of Cal-Sil board, it probably wouldn't matter.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Just use ordinary margerine or butter if you like .. Just use the the waxy lid on the top to smear it out . Once you have cured your oven it will be a little carbon layer you 'll never see
Regards dave
Ps... Don't let the wife catch you

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-19-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Spelling