Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Serf

Default Re: Calcium Silicate board thickness

Sorry, I should have explained more. My build is going on a custom made steel cart. On top of that I have a 14 ga galvanized steel pan with welded reinforcements. This pan has been bolted to my cart and I will be filling it with the < 2" of concrete. My build blog is Mobile Oven in Oregon...I'll be updating it much more often now that I am further under way.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I knew that I must have been missing something. Thank's for the clarification. Steel construction is a little above my pay grade .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Serf

For the most part it is out of my league too, but I brought up the idea to the guys in the shop where I work and before I knew they were cutting steel tubing for me...ha...Now I am on the hook to get this thing done ASAP.

It is like losing weight...dont tell people you are going to do it if you dont want to be held accountable.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I know what you mean. I owe some friends who helped me with a little metal work and material aquisition.

Also, use only hand tools to cut the calsil. A key hole saw cuts the curves just fine. A hand saw will work great on any straight cuts. These type tools help keep the dust down. Do wear a dust mask! Buy the wet saw and sell it to your neighbour when you are finished with it. He will want a WFO too, if you invite him over for the great food . It is that "keeping up with Jones' syndrome" that makes this all work .

Last edited by Gulf; 01-12-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: spelling and updating
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Al,

Do you have Vermicrete under your calsil or is it regular concrete?
Just 100mm of plan ordinary everyday concrete.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Sorry, I should have explained more. My build is going on a custom made steel cart. On top of that I have a 14 ga galvanized steel pan with welded reinforcements. This pan has been bolted to my cart and I will be filling it with the < 2" of concrete. My build blog is Mobile Oven in Oregon...I'll be updating it much more often now that I am further under way.
To increase the strength of that thin concrete slab you can add fibres. There are all kinds, plastic ones should be fine, the slab will not get hot enough to melt them.You can also increase the strength substantially by using a super plasticiser and an ad mix, but you will need to do some research and go to a concrete supply merchant. By making the slab stronger you can then make it thinner and save a heap of weight.

Last edited by david s; 01-15-2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Thought of more
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Serf

Too late now.

But I still need to make my CalSil decision. I keep waffling whether to double up or not still.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

2" of cal sil is approx equivalent to 4" vermicrete Both are considered adequate. Doubling is subject to the law of diminishing returns.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Serf

so...I sucked it up and bought another 1.5" of CalSil to add to my floor insulation. I was reading the forum posting about what people would change if they did it again and way too many people said "add more floor insulation" for me to ignore it (sorry Al, better safe than sorry). I sourced it from a different location this time. Less than a mile from my work and the 1' x 3' x 1.5" boards were $19 each.

Also, I noticed they had boxes upon boxes of ceramic blanket lined up so I asked the guy if they might have some end cuts floating around that I could purchase. He laughed and said they had dumpsters full of the stuff. He said if I come back when his boss is around they will fill my truck with blanket scraps at no charge. Not too shabby.

Also, anybody know anything about transite? He said all the pizza shops around town buy it for their pizza stone. Its expensive stuff but he had a bunch of end cuts of that also.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
so...I sucked it up and bought another 1.5" of CalSil to add to my floor insulation. I was reading the forum posting about what people would change if they did it again and way too many people said "add more floor insulation" for me to ignore it (sorry Al, better safe than sorry)
Personally I think you made the right call. Over insulating over, under, or on the sides will do no harm.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.