Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Building an oven for $

If you are not a licensed contractor you may want to look into what happens if you construct a wfo for someone without a license. In general it may not be an issue but you want to be aware of the rules before you start. In California some key points to consider would be:

1. You must do your work on an hourly basis and be paid at the end of the day. If you give a bid for the job and the person does not pay you, you have very few rights in California as an unlicensed contractor. Not sure about Michigan.
2. Insurance. What happens if God forbid you hurt yourself or you damage your customer’s property? If you do not have the proper insurance this it could get ugly for everyone very quickly.
3. Check with your local building permit office to make sure that you build the oven in compliance with local codes. You do not want your customer to assume you have permits when you don’t and then have them demand you redo the oven.

If you are serious about doing this for a living and you don’t have a contractors license you may want to consider getting one, it really is not all that difficult.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Laborer

That would be correct Mike, but fortunately for me, people in this area and in Bloomfield Hills are not too effected by the economy.

I used to be a finished carpenter, so I have a dba I could use and I would have to renew my insurance. If this is something that is possible, I definitely would not go forward without a license and insurance. Too may crazies out there. I would love to do this for a living, but I don't know how realistic that is. Don't know how long my body would put up that kind of abuse and I am not for certain there are enough people out there that are willing to spend that kind of money to have these built. Baby steps. For right now, I will start slowly and see where it goes. I do know that I would rather be BS'ing on this list with you guys about my daily job, than sitting at a desk in front of a PC any day.

Thanks for everyone's input...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Laborer

For what it's worth my oven cost less than 400 in materials (fire bricks, vermiculite, concrete, mortar, rockwool insulation, sand/ gravel, angle iron, +1 diamond blade for my wet saw) but I didn't need to build a foundation as that was already there..... I would reckon on 600 - 800 if I didn't improvise and recycle leftovers (or had enough money not to worry about leftover material).

Having said that it took over 3 months (not every day) of hard work to complete.

I'd have to charge a lot of money to build one which I wasn't going to benefit from on a regular basis!