Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Serf

Default Re: Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

What do you think about using Fiber Glass only at the Oven Landing? or the leftover of the ceramic blanket? and level it to the rest of the board with a layer of refractory cement.
Do you think this landing area must be as much insulated as the rest of the dome?
I'm talking about the landing just before where the door should be placed.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaam View Post
Thank you Gulf and nrobert for your comments, What do you all think of a set like this one in the attachment?

* To use the ceramic board on all the dome and the Refractory Cement bed only at the entrance of the oven.
Sometimes we do the best we can and roll with the punches

Your attachment illustrates what is probably the best you can do with the materials at hand and within your budget. The landing must be a good foundation for the weight of the entry and flu. If you can find a way to insulate the entry floor from the material directly under it, you will not lose heat as fast as leaving the insulative layer out (refractory cement is not going to be an insulator).

Free advice: As you have someone build the oven for you, monitor every step to comply with the pompeii plans. That is the ONLY way to insure the performance of your oven when it is fineshed. We've read many accounts of 'problems' and 'issues' after the oven is completed and correcting the problems and issues becomes expensive.

With regard to your post #1 above, I recommend you consider placing the dome on the oven floor and make the floor as large as the footprint of your insulation will allow.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
With regard to your post #1 above, I recommend you consider placing the dome on the oven floor and make the floor as large as the footprint of your insulation will allow.
Sage advice, indeed.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Serf

Quote:
Do you think this landing area must be as much insulated as the rest of the dome?
I'm talking about the landing just before where the door should be placed.
I would also be interested in what people think about the importance of insulating under the oven vent. I did 10" of refractory cement at the front of the pad under the vent as a base for the chimney structure and then started the insulation. The edge of the dome is 3" beyond that, 13" from the front of the oven pad, which gives 3" between the refractory cement and the dome and there is also a joint in the fire brick.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobert View Post
I would also be interested in what people think about the importance of insulating under the oven vent.
Anywhere that can wick heat away into the concrete slab needs to be insulated so you use less firewood and retain more heat.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Anywhere that can wick heat away into the concrete slab needs to be insulated so you use less firewood and retain more heat.
On the same note, I am planning a stainless steel entryway floor (like Mr Chipster's). Given that I will employ a thermal break where there is minimal contact between the entryway floor/oven floor and entryway arch to the dome's inner arch, I am clueless as to which mode of thinking is most efficient:

1) Instead of firebrick, place insulation under the stainless in order to reduce residual heat loss through the entryway contact (more mass means more volume to absorb residual dome heat

2) Keep the firebrick under the entryway stainless thinking that heat transfer is partially a function of the difference of the temperature of the two entities swapping heat and that a hot entryway (heated from exhaust) will present less of a temp variance and steal less heat from the dome (provided there is a second outer door).

I guess I could insulate the perimeter of the stainless floor and leave a firebrick 'island' in the middle of it and accomplish the best of both worlds. Does this sound realistic?
John
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
1) Instead of firebrick, place insulation under the stainless in order to reduce residual heat loss through the entryway contact (more mass means more volume to absorb residual dome heat
This would be the best option imo, I have granite in my entryway with a 10mm thermal break between the oven hearth and it still gets warm even with insulation underneath.

Tags
dome construction