Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Serf

Default Re: broschb 36" in utah

Couple more pics of the fire breather

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I believe the crack in your arch has appeared because of no buttressing of the flue arch, You should add some support to the arch to prevent further damage.

It seems that you have plenty of space for a brick or metal buttress because of your house around the oven.

I see you are using a tile flue and when you add the extensions that will add even more stress on the arch.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Apprentice

Congrats on the completion of the dome. That outer crack I think happen from the angle cut on the bricks I noticed that you didn't fill the joints on the bottom portion I would do that ASAP and leave it that will help the arch weight. Otherwise the enclosure is looking good tall pitch on the roof.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Serf

I did put some angle brackets(2 on each side) to use as buttressing, but i'm thinking i can pull those off and build up some brick buttressing, and that will be much better. The funny thing for some reason that didn't cross my mind earlier, the things you learn as you go

I am concerned about the weight of the clay flues going up, so I think the brick buttressing will provide much better support, as far as the crack goes, assuming i get some more solid buttressing in place, is this something to be concerned about?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by broschb View Post
I did put some angle brackets(2 on each side) to use as buttressing, but i'm thinking i can pull those off and build up some brick buttressing, and that will be much better. The funny thing for some reason that didn't cross my mind earlier, the things you learn as you go

I am concerned about the weight of the clay flues going up, so I think the brick buttressing will provide much better support, as far as the crack goes, assuming i get some more solid buttressing in place, is this something to be concerned about?
Let us see the angle brackets, they need to go at least 2/3 of the way up the sides and should have a 45 degree or some type of brace that prevents flexing. A common shelf bracket is not substantial enough for the forces you are dealing with, they bend to much.

As far as the arch bricks once reinforced they should hold but I did notice two of them are - one next to thecrack and one two to the right are inverse pie shapes with the wide side down or almost square. Not ideal shapes for an arch.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Apprentice

Is it too late to redo your outer arch? those angles may cause a problem for you in the future, I would take Mr. Chipsters advise. if you cant cut the angles on the outer arch use whole let the bottom touch and use homebrew for the top that would be a last option and I have seen plenty of arch's built that way
Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hate to be an eeyore - but if I was going to put money on it, I would bet that arch is going to fail in the long run. Maybe even the short run. The thrust line for your arch does not look like it runs through the center of the bricks. It looks like it hits at the top, which makes those two bricks left and right of the center want to rotate out and break apart.

I would redo vs. trying to fix with a buttress. Once the oven is closed up in the house, you will have zero access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.