Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Bill's Northwest Pizza Oven

You're right John, bricks are on the list, along with a little fireclay, a dash of sand, general helping of mortar and possibly some cement board if there's room.

Once this fog clears should be a great day.

Bill

Oven Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Progress pictures:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Apprentice

Hi Bill,
Sounds like you beat me to the I-XL. I just picked up the first load (140) at lunch and they said I was not the first oven builder there today. Another load tomorrow with some mortar and I'll set to dome!
Cheers,
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Apprentice

John, Now that's a small world!

The guys at IXL were great an deven showed me an oven they had in the back which they use. Turns out they too sell a line of precast ovens.

Got 100 bricks and mortar. Went to Seattle Pottery Supply an got sand and fireclay. I was on a tear because tomorow's booked. I cut the hearth bricks and ceramic board. Will try and set the board and floor at the next opportunity. Let's hope the weather holds.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

I was able to cut out the hearth briks, lay the ceramic board and assemble the hearth floor on top.

There are some gaps between some of the bricks regardless of attempts to beat them into submisson with a rubber mallet. Did I read somewhere the you can take fireclay, or the sand, or the combo and sweep it dry over the hearth to fill any crevices? Has anyone done this to their hearth?

Once again, curious...

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bill - don't sweat it, they will fill with ash. The bigger concern is the flatness, did that go well?

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you're not positive about the flatness, get or borrow a peel and test out your floor. Belt sanding the bricks is, in my book, a last resort to fixing a floor problem - (now that I've learned from my mistakes).

-
Old 01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Apprentice

THanks Les and Gjbingham,

I'll let the ash fall where it may and do a peel test. I've found that "flat' is realtive. Not quite ruffle potato chip yet not exactly still pond water either.

Should work just fine.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'll bet you're fine as is. Don't stop now. Pizza by March!

-
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Apprentice

I was able to get the soldier course done yesterday. I started the entry as well and was up three rows till I remembered the $#@%^ reveal! Instead spending time on a work around I took the entry/landing rows down to make sure I did it right. This is very uncharacteristic.... Today, I was able to start the rebuild, with the reveal this time and lay a couple of rows.

It's probably hard to tell from these pictures but but it's actually snowing ....

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Laborer

yeah, but you will feel better that is done right! What a pain though.

Looking good

Ellie