Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Bill's Northwest Pizza Oven

Lee, the door with the thermometer is a door I use when I want to have a lot of insulation and retain heat for long periods of time. It has 2 inches of ceramic board sandwiched in it and works well. The old door - AL tape over plywood is the one I most recently replaced with a sturdier version. it is used to cover the opening when I'm not using the oven or to use when I need air to circulate in when smoking meats. Should withstand heat better than the old one.

Oven Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Progress pictures:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cooking pictures:

Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Apprentice

Yes, door ajar is similar but not quite as efficient. I seem to have a better draft when the air comes in from the bottom rather than the side.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya, others who've made those draft doors have really like them when the weather makes starting the fire hard. Gets it going faster. And, it doesn't have to be insulated so it should be easier to fabricate.

Bill, your doors look terrific. Your old insulated door has 2 handles and your new doors just 1 in the center. Is that work ok? Is it as easy or difficult as the 2- handed type?

Thanks for shaming me into building my door
cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Apprentice

Hi Dino,

The 2 handed is the insulated door and because it's built for a snug fit within the throat of the door it helps to have 2 handles to help snug it in. The non-insulated, 1 handled door, sits against the reveal and is light enough for the single handle. I also use it when I have wood chips smoking in the oven and leave it a little ajar to let air some air in and the smoke to circulate. I also leave it in place between oven uses so I don't end up with some furry creature - raccoon, squirrel, etc. - taking up residency....

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Apprentice

Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Thanks John, I think the bricks are still available at the local Lowes.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures:

Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Apprentice

The draft door definitely gets the fire going faster.

Oven Build:

Progress pictures:

Cooking pictures: