Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Begining dome construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
The leveling layer is designed to level off the rough surface of a vermiculite concrete pour. You may not need to do this - I didn't, just left the bricks sit on the insulation board.
I found that my bricks were not dimensionally identical, and I ended up with some minor height differences where the peel could catch. Hence the dry fireclay (which stayed dry) to pack between the low bricks and the insulation sheets. Those bricks that were OK were, like David's, placed directly on the insulation.

I didn't find that numbering and removing all the bricks was a great hassle, and I think it would have been harder to remove only those bricks that needed adjustment. And when they went back, I knew they'd be staying there! Very satisfying.

Paul.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Journeyman

I think i'm just going to go over the floor with a belt sander after everything is locked in. Most of the floor seems to be pretty dang smooth.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Master Builder

I used a spare firebrick as a 'plane' to grind down the few minor elevations - it worked very well and avoided risking heavy equipment on my carefully laid brick. It also was more selective on the bricks that were ground down so that I could avoid ruining the factory finish surface on the bricks that were ok.

Marc
Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I chose the belt sander approach, worked great.
I actually did the entire hearth floor because the firebricks I used were 'wire cut'; having the texture of 60 grit sandpaper on all sides as well as being dimensionally challenged. The belt sander gave them all a finish as smooth as a baby's bottom.
By all means where a good mask if you choose the belt sander approach, it does create quite a cloud of dust.

RT
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Journeyman

I second the belt sander approach. It does give the floor a very smooth feel and appearance.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What grit on the belt worked best? I'm assuming they were trashed pretty quick, so did you use the least expensive ones?

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Journeyman

I used 60 grit and if my memory serves, only took 2 belts.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used 1 each of 80 grit and 120 grit. Bought them at Lowes. Not sure what I paid. The inside of the belts say GatorGrit brand, made in the USA

RT
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Journeyman

Started mortaring the floor/wall bricks in today. You can see my technique improved with the later ones...much less mess. I was originally going to use all tapered bricks for a perfect semicircular dome, but I think I'm going to make a solider course on top of the floor, and then go back to the tapered bricks for the rest of the dome. That way I'll have more height clearance on the inner perimeter of the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining dome construction-mortarfloor1.jpg   Begining dome construction-mortarfloor2.jpg   Begining dome construction-mortarfloor3.jpg  
Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Journeyman

Finished the rest of the floor bricks. I hope to get the soldier course done tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining dome construction-mortaredfloorfin1.jpg   Begining dome construction-mortaredfloorfin2.jpg