Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Still working on covering my oven with stones. This has been the slowest part of the build for us. It's like a giant jigsaw puzzle with 40 pound pieces. Actually a few of the stones are smaller than 40#, but some are bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-48-right-side.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-49-right-side-arch-form.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-50-front-progress-stones.jpg  
Gulf likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Journeyman

Bob......very nice progress. Love the look it is taking on. I am anxious to see the finished product. Probably not as much as you are though, I reckon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 AM
Laborer

NCMan, I'm happy with the look. I wanted to use local stone for the finish, and I'm glad I did. I'm hoping that it will end up looking like it has been here a long time, not like a new oven.
Yes I am really looking forward to no longer working on this project. I love cooking with it. Tired of working on it. : - )
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
Yes I am really looking forward to no longer working on this project. I love cooking with it. Tired of working on it. : - )
Bob,
Oven looks great. I cant agree with you more on your quote! We are both at the same point in our projects and I feel the same way.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
Old 06-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Laborer

Hodgey, It's a long haul, we knew it would be. I am still thinking that I can get this finished before the one year mark. I started in august last year so time is running short.

I really like the slate roof. It looks great. I checked into real slate and the different manufactured products that look like slate. In the end the I couldn't justify the cost of either of those products. It would have added $750 to $1,000 to the build. With the low slope roof and the fact that the oven is slightly up hill from the house we don't see the roof at all. All that being said I still think that slate roof is great.

Last edited by bobmurphy; 06-27-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Journeyman

i appreciate the kind words. We were beyond happy how the roof turned out and very lucky to have stumbled onto reclaimed slate. My wife helped me do the roof and all told we had around $200 into it due to the slates only costing a $1 a piece.

I started in May of 2013 and took a winter break in the begining of september so i'm now over a year in and still have another month or so of work. then I scored all of this free counter top which created a cool penninsula but now i need a brick or concrete patio for it to make sence........ Can you say "next year"?

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Laborer

We have finally finished the stone work on our forno. The oven is 99% finished. I still need to tuck point the stones and make a door for the right side storage area. But, for now I need to get on to a few other more time sensitive projects. This one is at a stopping point until fall. I love cooking with this oven, it's a lot of fun. Since I have a lot of hickory firewood I have also been making charcoal in it for my green egg. Bonus free charcoal!

I want to thank again everyone who has posted on this great forum, everyone who has asked a question, and everyone who has answered those questions. I did not need to ask many questions as most had already been asked and answered long before I began my build. This project would have been almost impossible without the generous people here. THANK YOU EVERYONE, and thank you Frono Bravo for hosting this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-51-lf-stone-work.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-52-right-front-stone-work.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-53-righr-side-stone-work.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-54-rear-stone-work.jpg  
Gulf and NCMan like this.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Apprentice

Very well done. I like the pattern on the backside. That roof ought to keep rain from getting any where near the opening. good job!

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ditto on the design on the back.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Journeyman

Great job, Bob. I love it. Very, very nice.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra