Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Yes, you are definitely right, a low header would have taken care of the issue nicely. I knew when i was doing it that it was wrong, but has been too many decades since i did much framing, and that didn't occur to me.
Thebigt, Gulfs idea for a low header might help you with your hearth slab decision.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Laborer

I am starting the stone work that I hope will cover the entire outside of my oven. For the most part my lack of skill with this project has been covered up by the next phase of the project. Now for the part that shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-42-first-stones.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Laborer

Making a little more progress on the exterior finish of my oven. This part is going very slow. I am not a stone mason, or any other kind of mason really. I spend more time trying to find the stone to fit a spot than actually mortaring any in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-photo-1.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-photo-2.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-photo.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks good, but I am curious how you are attaching the stonework to the structure. Do you have any metal lath on the building, or are you mortaring right to the Tyvek?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Laborer

No, nothing would stick to the tyvek. I thought about using some woven wire or something like that, but I'm using brick ties. I can place them so they stick out into the mortar between the stones. I"m just screwing them in where ever I feel that I need them at least one for every stone, more on the big ones. On the stand portion I just mortared right to the cement blocks. The type N mortar is very sticky.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
No, nothing would stick to the tyvek.
That was my concern! I can't really see the brick ties in the pics

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Journeyman

Bob.....you're doing a fine job. Looks great. You've made alot of progress.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Laborer

MCMan, Thank you for the kind words. I thought I would be finished by now, but the harsh winter put a hurt on the schedule. I am still hoping start to finish one year. I started in August of last year so I still think that is possible.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Did you do two layers of tyvek? Because if your backfill is contacting it, water will wick through it.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Laborer

No back fill for me. The finish grade will be at the top of my foundation slab. The use of tyvek may have been a little overkill for me, but I wanted something between the exterior stone work and plywood to slow moisture transfer, but I did not want a vapor barrier.