Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Excellent weather for working outside this past weekend. Highs in the mid 70s and I'm in the shade to boot. We made the best of the good weather and got several courses of bricks up. I'm still a little confused about the dome arch intersection, but it is working out I guess I don't have to understand it, just do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-11-course-3-4-5.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-12-3-4-5-front-arch.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Laborer

I had to post a photo of my number one brick cutter at the brick saw. She has cut at least 90% of the bricks so far. It's great to have help with a project this big. The harbor freight brick saw is working out great. I'm still using the first blade. I purchased the blade from Lowe's. The diamond edge is getting smaller and smaller, I suspect that I will need to get another one soon.
Gravity is no longer my friend with this project. Time to go to the wood shop and make some adjustable braces to hold the bricks for a few moments while the mortar sets up.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-13-course-6-7.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-14-bride-brick-saw.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's a tip I learned from Tu, the last thing you do is set a brick on the next course, back center and let it sit overnight, then you have something to set the next course against the next day.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-46-course-8-finished-anchor-block  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Laborer

Russell, Thank you for that tip. The simplest ideas are usually the best. I'll definitely try that on my next course.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Laborer

I made a couple of adjustable sticks to hold the bricks for a few minutes until the mortar grabs tight. Not a perfect solution, but they are working. I offset the ends to avoid conflict where they cross in the center of the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-16-brick-jigs.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-17-jigs-use.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-18-dome.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Laborer

My adjustable sticks from the previous post worked very well for several courses. Once I got to the top couple of courses of bricks they were not effective. I ended up stacking some bricks inside of the oven and cutting a circle of plywood for the bricks to rest on. This worked good for holding the bricks, but didn't allow me to really see how they were aligned on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-21-almost-closed.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-19-sky.jpg   Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks-22-dome-top-closed.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Master Builder

Congratulations,
Your build is looking great and moving along quite quickly, when compare to my snail's pace..... Ground breaking til dome plugged, wow. Its great feeling to get her plugged...... Looking forward to seeing your first fire soon.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Journeyman

Bob
Glad to see you have the dome closed up, congratulations. What a great feeling when that is finished. Pretty soon you will be cooking up some great pizzas.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 10-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Apprentice

Looks pretty good Bob! Time for the small low curing fires.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Begining 36" oven in the Missouri Ozarks

Bob

Lets see the inside of your beauty! Good job and congrats.
Texman