Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Serf

Does anyone know why the height of the oven floor in the design was made? Could I make it one block higher (how about two). Making the oven floor higher would open up alot of possibilities.

In the current design do you need to look down into the oven? If it was 12 inches higher would it create issues?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Floor height

My math shows that oven floor at 4' 6", or 54". Right?

I just measured that on the wall, and stood there with a pizza peel. It's pretty high. Usable definitely, but well on the high side of average. You could use a peel at that height without having to put the handle of the peel above your shoulder, which would be pretty difficult to do to. I think higher would make it difficult to get food in and out of the oven.

My guess is that the floor is at that height to "just" allow for venting of the fireplace.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Apprentice

Seems the best way to gain better drafting of the fireplace would be to lower it. Go without the 12" tall hearth and set it at floor level? Does anyone know of a source (book) for fireplace design? I doubt I'd attempt building one, but I'd like to know more about the construction before I attempt to explain this set up to a mason.