Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Build Day Four-part two,

After the blocks were set I decided to use a a wall bonding agent I read about. Yes I know that I'm going to pore concrete in each hole and it's not necessary but I was having visions of my son, his friends, and a football and a large pile of blocks...
BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0172.jpg Out of mortar and I'm done!

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0173.jpg My daughter thought it was funny that I couldn't get out that easily

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0174.jpg Rebar in, site cleaned up, ready to head in.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Apprentice

Build Day ??? No notes, just aches and pains I think this is day 5, evening of Wednesday the 22nd.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0177.jpg Concrete going in the holes, rebar getting cut.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0178.jpg More progress, more rebar, more concrete. Love those 80lb bags!

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0185.jpg I hate this time of year when it gets dark so early. I managed to get this done in just under two hours. Daylight is gone, heading in.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM
Apprentice

Build day Five part two,

I remembered that I decided to stay out late, fight the bugs and get the rebar done since it supposed to rain inches the next day.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0186.jpg Rebar complete

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0188.jpg Yes I welded them. I could have wire tied them but hey, never pass up the opportunity to use ALL of your tools

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0187.jpgTalk about making pizza with love! I was tired and getting silly.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0189.jpg Ready for form boards and concrete!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Apprentice

BIG DAY;

I got up early and got the form boards up.
BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0190.jpg;BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0191.jpg

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0192.jpg Got off work a little early, mixed the cement and putting the final touches on it. (cheesy photo op smile)

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0194.jpg Done! Here comes the storm!!!

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0197.jpg Boy Scouts paid off! Boy did it rain; we received at least 2 inches...

I'm done until Saturday; then it's Vermiculite time!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Apprentice

Saturday the 25th;

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0198.jpg This is actually Friday evening on the 24th. The tent worked perfectly! Curing nicely and staying dry.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0203.jpg That night I formed the base, mixed the Vermiculite, and called it a night. 4.5" of vermicucrete! Saturday it was strong enough to remove the form boards. I was too tired to take any pics during but it went smoothly. The vermiculite mixed easy; just weird stuff. I expected it to be more like screed mud but instead it felt a little rubbery.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0204.jpg Concrete going in around vermiculite. Deciding on which stone to use on the base. I'm leaning to the one on the right.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0205.jpg All the cement is in, troweled, and ready for a nice curing.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0206.jpg Done, heading in.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Apprentice

Tuesday the 28th (I believe) Sorry, I cannot remember what night was what.
BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0208.jpg Did I mention how much I dislike this time of year when it get's dark so early? I managed to get the floor layed out, cut, and leveled. I used the 1:1 mix of fireclay and sand. I mixed it like thinset but let me tell you those bricks suck the water out of it soooo fast you need to have your level on top of it immediately! I also picked up a few new levels. I was wondering why my old level was never consistent...One side was level, the other side was off a quarter bubble... And I thought it was me...

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0209.jpg I cut the first course and made a make shift gage to help keep me round and pitched correctly.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0211.jpg Closer shot of the gage and floor.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0210.jpg I decided to call this MOAH. Mother Of All Hearths! Holy crap that thing is huge. I guess I could use it for a bunker if we get a hurricane this way.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Apprentice

Thursday the 30th,

I decided to take the day off but like I said in my other post that didn't work out too well.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0212.jpg I decided to go with a half brick soldier course as I wanted a little more room on the side walls. I also scrapped my gage as I didn't take in consideration that the length from the mounting hole was correct but the hinge doesn't bend at the hole so it was off by a half inch. I may still use it but I placed the tried and true string to help with the angle cuts.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0213.jpg Deciding on the arch/vent opening. I think this will work. Bricks are numbered, ready to be set. After I made most of my cuts I laid them out and realized that I was cutting them too much. Easily resolved by placing an uncut half brick every Fourth spot. I kind of like it now so I'll just say I planned it that way.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0214.jpg Blimp shot of the process

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0215.jpg Close up of the arch vent landing
Old 10-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Apprentice

Thursday the 30th,

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0217.jpg Right half set. Very upset that the Heatstop-50 had rocks in it. I tried to keep my joints small as planned.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0218.jpg Close up of my arch vent landing

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0219.jpg Inside floor/wall shot

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0220.jpg Blimp Shot

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-cimg0222.jpg Close up of joints

Well I've spent most of my day off posting pics; I hope I don't bore everyone with all of them. I need to get out and get something done!

Wish me luck,

Bill
Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Master Builder

Bill,

Looks absolutely terrific. I'm looking forward to your build. Keep up the great work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Apprentice

Exclamation Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Thanks Mfiore,

I just had one of those 'OH CRAP' moments and cannot get an answer. Yesterday I posted a concern for the Heatstop 50 and the fact that it had small BB's in it. I just went outside to inspect the mortar and I was able to wipe it off the backside of the bricks with a sponge and very little effort. I called CMS, Bob was not in and no one can answer me if this stuff is good or bad. I called Rumsford, they were very nice but again, no confirmation. I am getting "that doesn't sound right". I am very nervous and do not want to continue until I get confirmation. I made a small ball the size of a nickel last night. Just a few minutes ago I took it and was able to crack it into small pcs with my fingers and then rub them into sand... Am I screwed? I've never seen mortar do this, especially $70.00 a bag mortar!

I soaked my bricks until they stopped bubbling, spread the mortar and set them. After reading all the threads on how fast this stuff sets up I am absolutely amazed that this hasn't.

Any insight would be of great help; I'm at a stand still until I can get an answer.

Thanks again,