Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers View Post
Bill,
This day should result in a very slow cure. I hope the rain we are getting misses you for as long as possible.
I like the way you are approaching the front, it looks like it will give good chimney support. It also will keep the screen back, such that it does not distract from the front of the oven.
Don
Hey there Don,

What a soggy day huh? I was able to get the left side bricks all the way to the top of the new feature I added yesterday but then the sky turned a very dark color and I started melting . I had to do the 'Oh $#it' scramble for the tarp and clamps. I managed to get it covered in no time. I then got out the pressure washer, rain coat, and proceeded to clean the dust and debris off the deck. It was fun I must say

I think the front support will be good also; so far I have not placed any weight on the fire brick arch/vent area with the exception of the clay pipes. I planned ahead for the screen location, well within an inch or so , Once I get the chimney bricks all the way up I'll put the screen up. Of course this all has to be done by the 13th as I'm having a Christmas party. Not sure about trying pizzas that night but will definitely have a nice fire going

Thanks again,

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Master Builder

I agree - very nice job. I love the chimney treatment!!!

Can't wait to see the surprise!!!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell View Post
Amazing work. A true artisan.
Thanks Bbell, I appreciate the kind words!

Check out my build
Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
Oh wow, Bill. That's a beautiful job. Very creative finish and keystone method, too! Now, get your cleanup done and your wait over, and get to curing!

Well, I guess the Christmas lights can get done first... I still have to find mine. I want to get some of those cool LED ones to save on the electric bill, but I'm thinking that maybe in a year or two it will be more cost effective. In the meantime I think I'll just use fewer lights and use timers to turn them on and off...

Thank you so much Elizabeth!

I cannot wait to get a fire going it it. I also cannot wait to get the brick work done!

I have a ton of the LED lights, they're great and they do save on the electric bill... That's if you don't end up putting more up than you had before

Thanks again,

Check out my build
Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
I agree - very nice job. I love the chimney treatment!!!

Can't wait to see the surprise!!!

Christo
Thank you Christo!

I hope to have it done by next weekend... The surprise that is.

Check out my build
Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Laborer

Looking good Bill, i like the personal touch on the keystone. keep up the good work mate!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Apprentice

Quick question everyone,

Today is the day I get to start the curing process!!!

I read the new curing guide and it suggests to bring the temp up to 300f constant. Do you think that if I used my propane burner for the turkey fryer and placed a stack of fire bricks about half way up dead center and left an opening at the bottom for the burner to go in that I could use it instead of an actual fire? I don't have the top section of the flue on yet and don't want any unwanted sparks going anywhere. The fire would hit the bricks which would create a wide spread radiant heat source that is precisely controllable.

Any thoughts?

Check out my build
Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Laborer

Bill,
The nice part of your idea is that the propane will be giving off moisture, I would think that this would be a plus over the dry air from a wood fire. The curing wouldn't be as "harsh" with the added moisture. The turkey fryers all have a flame control so you could dial in the size flame you want.
Don
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Master Builder

It seems reasonable. I can tell you from experience, maintaining a 300 degree fire with paper/wood/cardboard is not easy. It quickly shoots up when you add new fuel, and dies out quickly. It's much easier to maintain a 450-500 degree fire. I would think heating the first few low fires with propane would work OK, then switch to real fire with the hotter cures.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Master Builder

Sounds ok to me. But be careful!!!

You don't want to melt the hose to your turkey fryer!!!

Christo