Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Laborer

Default Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Looking good BIll. The joins inside the dome look really neat, did you taper your bricks at all?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Looking good BIll. The joins inside the dome look really neat, did you taper your bricks at all?
Thanks Justin,

I cut each brick to eliminate the gap as much as possible both front to back and top to bottom. I did not cut the bottom or top of the bricks that some do to adjust for the angle; I chose to use shims made out of fire brick when needed but mostly just HS-50 mortar.

Thanks again,

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Apprentice

11-29-08

After the keystone was in place I filled in the open area on top of the keystone along with an extra 1-2" of home mix refractory mortar for additional thermal mass. I used the mix in the FB manual but added some of the 25+lbs of sludge I kept from the wet saw. I just reduced the fire clay by 50%. The mix was very nice and creamy, almost felt like HS-50; sure looked like it. I covered it with a damp towel to prevent shrinkage and then moved on to the brick front.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-28-08-pizza-oven-006.jpg Bricks looking good. I'm going for the old world look which isn't too difficult since they're all different sizes

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-28-08-pizza-oven-007.jpg Second half of chimney in place

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-28-08-pizza-oven-008.jpg This was the cool feature I posted yesterday. The keystone has the diamond stamp that's on all the bricks. I read that it's a 'union' stamp and was one way to tell if they were authentic Chicago bricks This is not a political statement; for the record-I'm not for or against unions, I just thought it looked cool.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-7095.jpg This is what's going inside that arched area! This is Hephaestus, the Greek god of Fire. I will have a small half circle platform made out of granite that will go inside there that he will stand on. I thought I would keep the whole Mediterranean theme going since I have two statues already(both women). I thought it was only right to have Hephaestus standing there in all his glory with hammer in hand. I'm going to insulate the area just behind that wall in hopes that it will stop him from melting

The landing area on the hearth will be made out of the same granite as my outdoor kitchen, Juparana Bordeaux. This should look way cool. I also decided not to go with stone on the base, instead I'm staying with the brick theme. I'll probably cut them in half to get twice the coverage but only on the screened in area; the area outside will just be painted to match our house.

Today I'm going to try and get the right side of the bricks done to match the left. Then a good job site cleaning, and then on to the Christmas lights!

Stay tuned,

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is all way way cool!

The inscription on the keystone, the keystone itself, the brickwork, the cool feature and the fire god to go in it...COOL!! What a great build!

What's your Hephaestus made out of?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Apprentice

I am not a man of to many words. At least not when I have to type them. I have been following your build and I think it looks grate and that you’re doing a wonderful. I think I am enjoying it as much as you are. It is so nice to share in other folks build.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Laborer

Bill,
This day should result in a very slow cure. I hope the rain we are getting misses you for as long as possible.
I like the way you are approaching the front, it looks like it will give good chimney support. It also will keep the screen back, such that it does not distract from the front of the oven.
Don
Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Apprentice

Amazing work. A true artisan.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh wow, Bill. That's a beautiful job. Very creative finish and keystone method, too! Now, get your cleanup done and your wait over, and get to curing!

Well, I guess the Christmas lights can get done first... I still have to find mine. I want to get some of those cool LED ones to save on the electric bill, but I'm thinking that maybe in a year or two it will be more cost effective. In the meantime I think I'll just use fewer lights and use timers to turn them on and off...

Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
This is all way way cool!

The inscription on the keystone, the keystone itself, the brickwork, the cool feature and the fire god to go in it...COOL!! What a great build!

What's your Hephaestus made out of?
Thank you Frances!

It's been a blast creating this as I go along. I've done a few projects in my day but this one has got to be the most labor intensive, most brain cramping, and the most fun ever!

The statue is a cast resin, cold cast resin to be exact. I have a few outside in this lovely FL weather and so far so good. If he melts I'll get one out of bronze!

I have one more cool thing to add but it will be a surprise....but waaaaaaaay cool.

Thanks again.

Check out my build
Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Mannextdoor!

Thank you for the kind words; I'm so glad I found this forum.

Check out my build