Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
Your work looks fantastic. How exciting for you you should be very pleased with that level of craftsmanship.
Cheers
Joe
Thanks Joe, It's a learn as you go process for me but it has been a lot of fun so far.

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Apprentice

Bad news on the Ridgid wet saw; I had to take it back It just didn't work as good as the MK that I'm using (borrowing). It's almost impossible to stall the MK motor; the Ridgid stalled all the time. The saw was flexing so the blade wanted to walk up on the bricks forcing the blade in too fast causing a very nice disintegration of the fire brick and cut Yes the laser was cool, the miter was ok, the tray rolled beautifully, but for $700.00 the over all quality of the saw needs improvement in my humble opinion. The MK-101 is built for professional tile setting to be use on a daily basis with very little maintenance; I can't see the Ridgid making it through an oven build (with me using it).

I fired up the MK when I got home (in the dark I might add ) and ripped through a set of bricks like butter. I'm used to working with shims to make miter cuts but if your not the Ridgid was easy to use.

Not to bash Ridgid; my entire wood shop is 100% Ridgid and I wouldn't get rid of anything. The wet saw just didn't cut it...no pun intended

Check out my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Apprentice

Oh yeah, I also managed to get the Christmas tree up yesterday!

Do we need to start another thread to show our lights?

I'm definitely a Griswold club member. My neighbor behind me has his all up and running on a Light-O-Rama controller to some very cool music. Ive been threatening to do that for a few years......Hmmmmmmmmmm

Check out my build
Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bill,

I used to go the full light route. I was on my third 15 AMP breaker when I admitted I had a problem. I just put on a 8 grand roof this summer so I think I will quit running on top of it.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Bill,

I used to go the full light route. I was on my third 15 AMP breaker when I admitted I had a problem. I just put on a 8 grand roof this summer so I think I will quit running on top of it.

Les...
Yikes. I guess the fact that I put 4 double 20 amp breaker boxes outside two years ago means that I'm way past the point of no return....

You know you have a lot of Christmas lights when your 10 gage extension cord gets warm!

I don't like the roof deal, it's way too high and the consequesces of falling get more real every year.

Check out my build
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Clark, I mean Bill......Dude, from personal experience I can say you are going too far.
I've been running off of 3 exterior 20 amp circuits as well as 2 20 amp garage circuits for the past couple of years. Last year I added about 4500 more lights (for a total of around 18,000 or 19,000) and a few more "lawn ornaments"...officially crossing the line, we couldn't run the pool, clothes dryer, or AC at the same time. After a $750 bill from Tampa Electric for the month, I learned my lesson; not to mention the rate increase they were just awarded.
This yr I am going with zero outdoor lights, told my wife to go nuts inside with the decorations and that I'm just too busy to spend the time.

RT
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
After a $750 bill from Tampa Electric for the month,
Holy Crap! What are you guy's paying per kilo watt? That would make my carbon footprint about a size .1

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not to hi-jack the thread, but you asked:
customer charge of $8.50
energy charge of $.05061/kWh
fuel charge of $.05241/kWh
taxes and franchise fees about 15%

This is before the recently approved 12% increase.

Basically - my Christmas lights increased my usage from a range of 65-70 kWh per day (typical for me in Dec./Jan) to over 200 per day. As a baseline, looking at my Oct 2008 bill, my usage was 2,777 kWh for the month (it was a pretty hot month and the AC was running as much as peak summer). Typical summer usage is 90-95 kWh per and drops to the above mentioned 60-70 a day in winter.
Yes, I know, I am an electrical junky.....that is never going to change much. Trying to do my part by buying and using sustainable/recycleable every day items as well as cutting my dependance on foreign oil (i.e. - gasoline) by about 50% this year - by delegating and working from home. Wish I could afford to cover my property with solar panels, I could almost consider myself to be "green" then.
Just can't give up my electronic gadgets.

RT

RT
Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 AM
Apprentice

Got to love Teco huh RT... After my electric bill two years ago I made a huge change in my exterior lights; I went LED. My bill dropped about 65% but allowed me to use more lights. I still have a good mix of nice (not tacky) inflatables but mostly just lights.

Not to change the subject but I spoke to Bob Ruckers, mfg of Heatstop-50 yesterday. He said that the HS-50 only needs a day or two to cure enough to fire. In fact they say that after 24hrs in a fire box you can use it. I've paid attention to the 'wait a week' to cure in this forum but has anyone fired theirs up sooner? Impatient?Me? Come on..

Check out my build
Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Laborer

I am going to finish building my 36" dome in the spring and I have a few new guy questions if you don't mind.

Do you angle the bottom and side of each of your bricks or did you just use mortar? It looks like you cut angles to the sides of each brick.

String method - If your dome is 42" I am assuming you have a mark 21" from the center and the inside of each ring needs to be at this marking even as you go up to the higher rings. Is this correct? Also, should the angle on the top of the brick be flush with the string when it is pulled tight over the top of the brick?

Last ? - Did you cut your bricks smaller as you go up to accommodate for the tighter rings? If you did angle the sides, how do you know what angle to make them?

Sorry for all of the new guy questions. I have been following your build and I am very impressed by your work. It seems that keeps things simple with the string is sometimes the cleanest route.

Thanks again, Scott...