Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Serf

Default Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Your work looks fantastic. How exciting for you you should be very pleased with that level of craftsmanship.
Cheers
Joe
Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Master Builder

Ha Ha Ha - I used those clamps too!!!! really worked like a charm.

I spent most of today working on the outdoor kitchen and tonight am soldering up some control boards (I whipped up - and have no idea that they will work!) for this years christmas display. I have to get some disipline and stop working on the oven and get Christmas going!!!

Our decorations better be visible from Space!!!! Actually a surprise for my wife this year for Christmas - is to get a pilot friend of ours to fly over the house in a small plane and let her see it all lit up. We have a 25 ft Snowman and a 30 ft tree - (rotating I hope - that's what the control boards are for!!)

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Master Builder

"Christo Griswold!"

Old 11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Journeyman

Chirsto Griswald! Classic. LMAO
Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dang. I better not let my daughter see this one... she never met a Christmas light she didn't want to put up somewhere. She did the front porch several years ago and I had people I didn't even know asking me about it. Seems they could read by it across the street with all their lights off in the house...

Now she's in engineering, and I suspect she would go nuts with control boards and rotating trees...

Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike (mfiore) and Christo, I have a stupid question about the ERWIN Clamp: Is it used to clamp a fresh brick to the dried brick next to it or is it used to hold just the brick you are attaching and long "stick" end rests on the oven floor while the clamp end just keeps it up there? (I know, you are rolling your eyeballs at this point but just wait until I start construction...you'll be slapping your forehead as well).

Bill: what a beautiful arch! You also look like you a have a nice big vent cavity that should trap the smoke nicely. I'm going to go over you pics again in case I missed it but be sure take a pic looking down and up into it. Also, what is length and width of it? Thanks again, and your craftsmanship is terrific!

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Master Builder

nope - no stupid questions here. In my case - just ones I wished I'd asked earlier!

For me - I used the clamp to to clamp new bricks to old ones as you suggested. As a former woodworker - I have a lots a clamps (you can never have too many!!)

Somewhere on the site - someone took Hendo's gauge to a new level and fastened one of the clamps to the end of it.

Christo.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Master Builder

Dino. Keep the questions coming. Makes me feel useful!

I used the clamps to hold the new brick to the old. The bar was not used to prop the contraption in anyway. It just provided an extra set of hands.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post

Bill: what a beautiful arch! You also look like you a have a nice big vent cavity that should trap the smoke nicely. I'm going to go over you pics again in case I missed it but be sure take a pic looking down and up into it. Also, what is length and width of it? Thanks again, and your craftsmanship is terrific!

-Dino
Thank you Dino; I hope it cooks as good as it looks

The clamps are to be used to stop the bricks from sliding off. If you clamp your first brick in place (after correct angle and edge placement have been achieved) you start adding more precut bricks and then if needed you can clamp the last one set... Hard for me to explain but I can tell you that I have not used them yet. Take a look at the pictures below. The Heatstop-50 has such an amazing holding power without any sliding yet. I mixed it a little on the thick side (thick peanut butter), key it in to your bricks (very important) on all three sides (bottom, left, right) and then place the amount of mortar you think it will need for the angle (determined by the string in my case). Push the oven side of the brick down until it is sitting on the bricks below it and then push the back of the brick down until the string is flush. It's way easier than you think.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-24-08-003.jpg Defying Gravity. These were just installed without clamps, forms, etc. The mortar is holding them in place.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-24-08-004.jpg Blimp shot, almost closed in.

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-24-08-001.jpg Sitting area shot...

BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!-11-24-08-005.jpg Plumb and level line in place ready for more Old Chicago bricks! The level line also shows me the screen location; It will land just behind the top row of bricks on the arch... I love it when plan starts to come together

Check out my build
Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
Dino. Keep the questions coming. Makes me feel useful!

I used the clamps to hold the new brick to the old. The bar was not used to prop the contraption in anyway. It just provided an extra set of hands.

Yeah, what Mike said...

Check out my build