Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Arch Rise for Oven Opening

RT and Wade, how about concerns for a turkey, or other foods to experiment with? Do you feel your dimensions for the opening are a concern, or not? What other foods have you experimented with?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, I noticed your progress of work within the gallery. Everything is looking excellant.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Journeyman

Haven't done anything else, yet. I plan on turkey and pork shoulder and I am not concerned about the opening for that. Can't say I have seen any turkeys over 12" tall, breast up/down, and if there are it would be way too big for my family. I did make sure the largest pan I own would slide through.

I forgot to mention the width and outside dimensions. Will edit my previous post.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Arch Rise for Oven Opening

You haven't seen the larger turkeys that are now bread in Australia for the commercial markets.
When we got married, we had to send the three turkeys to a chicken taleaway to be cooked as they were too large for the domestic ovens, They were then broken up for the reception but the caterers asked if they were emu's rather than turkeys. They actually filled the milk crates that hold 12 X 1 litre milk cartons when cooked.
My inlaws used to raised 1000 of these turkeys each year on their farm for the east to west transcontinental railway the 'Indian Pacific' and dressed between 20 to 25 kg each. Slightly smaller ones were cooked for the family christmas celebrations but even the drumsticks would weigh in at 2 to 3 kg each.
You definitely need a large oven openning to fit these in.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No concerns about turkey, I don't eat or make it unless I'm forced to (maybe every third Thangsgiving).

My largest pan as well as my new cast iron Dutch oven from FB fit without any problems.

As for cooking other than pizza - I've grilled on my cast iron Tuscan grill (steaks, veges, chicken). Roasted an 8lb rib roast, roasted several chickens on a vertical chicken holder (the largest being a monster of about 6 1/2 lbs). Braised a couple of beef roasts, smoked many slabs of ribs and each time threw in 8-10 ears of corn during the last hour of cooking.
Plenty of room.....I don't do large parties and other than my wife and daughter - all family is out of state.

All of my dimensions follow the recomendations I've read on this forum for optimum performance of a 36" Pompeii oven - within an inch or so. I don't consider my entry small by any means. Door in place or door left off all night, I still have enough heat the next day after an evening of pizzas to roast something the next morning or afternoon (if the door was in place).......so heat retention is incredible; of course that may change when things cool down a bit during the winter months.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neill, it would be great to see one of those turkeys here in the states that you are mentioning. Does your family still enjoy eating these LARGE turkeys? If they are to big for the oven, rotisarie style sounds delicious.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Arch Rise for Oven Opening

Hi Acoma,
I believe that around 20 or so years ago, a turkey breeder smuggled some of these giant turkey eggs into Australia from the USA and are now common place specifically for the commercial markets.
I just did a Google search for 'Giant turkey' and many are from the US.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Journeyman

Sorry I haven't responded before now, but thanks to all who shared the details of their arch rise. I've checked at the local refractory supplier, who kindly let me lay out bricks of different tapers, varying from 75/69, to 75/63, to 75/51. Out of stock of 75/57 unfortunately, which is the one I was really curious about.

I've decided on the 75/63 bricks, which coincidentally are the same as used in the dome. They will form a natural rise of around 2" or so.

Cheers,
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Arch Rise for Oven Opening-dsc_0236-medium-.jpg