Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Arch buttressing.

Les,
Thanks for the reply. It is more 'puffy out the door' in the initial stages when there is a lot of smoke. It definitely draws better when the fire is hotter.

I haven't really gotten the whole oven up to temperature yet. I burned about an 8' 2x4 worth of pieces last night. The flue piece is not sealed yet, and I am thinking as those gases get up in the flue, the vacuum caused by their motion (vertically) would tend to suck air in through the gaps that aren't filled yet ( with mortar)

I am HOPING it will draw better when I mortar it in, and that I won't have to get out a jack hammer to smooth out the smoke path...

lars.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You will get lots of smoke coming out the door when firing, especially for the "big burn" to get it up to pizza cooking temperature.

The main purpose of the vent is to direct hot gasses up and away from the face while you do the actual cooking, i.e. when the fire is down to coals.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Journeyman

What does everyone think about having a pompeii oven in a kitchen ( inside)?

So far, I think I would need glass doors with a vent at the bottom OR external combustion air vents... AND a slot for ash clean-out... does this seem feasable ( to those of you who have more experience with using a WFO?)

Reason I ask, I kind of built this oven to find out more about them, with the idea of building one into my house plan...

Lars.