Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Anyone have experience with Surface Bonding Cement ??

Thanks for this thread I'm just finishing up my mesh over the insulation and I did not want to go the stucco route. I would not have thought to use the acrylic additive. I've used the surface bonding cement before so I was thinking of going that way but was not sure how well it would work until now so thanks. The only reason I want to put a coating over my insulation is for critter protection. I will be building walls and roof to cover the oven but those little dirty mice get into everything and the last thing I want is a nest in my oven insulation.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Master Builder

^^^ If you're gonna end up housing the oven it's more economical to just use regular stucco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Master Builder

economical ??? what's that? I want this oven done so that I can get on with my life. The housing may get put off till spring so for a few bucks more I can not worry about the winter slipping in or whenever the wind blows wonder if my tarp has blown off. I think I've become a bit obsessed with this project so money is not an issue. Just to let you know how bad it has gotten one night I left the tarp off because the forecast was clear, 3am it started to pour down rain. I streaked out of the house to cover the oven. Good thing nobody drove by to whiteness a nude old fat woman fussing with a tarp in the rain.

Anyway thanks for your advice George
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Apprentice

nice job john. how tall is your chimney? i'm at 18" and get a fair amount of smoke out of the front at start-up. i think i'm going to have to get another 12" section of pipe. one of the big boxes had black single wall really cheap ($2.00 a foot) this weekend and i think i'm going to buy a piece of that and see if it works before i go spend the money on double wall stainless.