Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Anyone ever fit an outdoor oven with Gas - Nuisance Smoke Bylaw (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/anyone-ever-fit-outdoor-oven-gas-4368.html)

tdibratt 06-23-2008 07:37 AM

Anyone ever fit an outdoor oven with Gas - Nuisance Smoke Bylaw

Hi, I have a question about outdoor ovens. I have built 2 outdoor woodburning ovens in my time and am looking to embark on building a new one at my recent home. I spoke to the building dept and they said no issue but suggested I speak to the fire dept. The fire dept said as long as I was building a fire for the purpose of cooking outdoors it is OK, BUT..

The BUT is if the neighbours complain of nuisance smoke they can force me to put it out. What a dilemna. Do I go thru the trouble of building one only to eventually find myself shutdown? So I thought what about Gas?

Thx

asudavew 06-23-2008 07:49 AM

Re: Anyone ever fit an outdoor oven with Gas - Nuisance Smoke Bylaw

Gas has been debated on this site many times.

I think the consensus is - just say no.

Due to safety issues, heat up time, etc.

A dome full of unburnt gas could explode.

Commercial gas ovens come with many safety features. You might check in to a commercial burning system. They aren't cheap, but might work for ya.

Dave

Groves 06-23-2008 07:59 AM

I would talk to the neighbors first

Ken524 06-23-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdibratt (Post 35647)
The BUT is if the neighbours complain of nuisance smoke they can force me to put it out. What a dilemna. Do I go thru the trouble of building one only to eventually find myself shutdown? So I thought what about Gas?

I get very little smoke out of my oven; only during the first hour of fire - if even that long. Although my neighbors aren't close to us, I doubt they would complain if they were nearby. We all get along very well and the smoke is no worse than a big BBQ.

Talk to your neighbors. Tell them what you are building and ask them if a little smoke from a BBQ would bother them. Tell them they will get pizza!

Good luck.

tdibratt 06-23-2008 08:10 AM

Good points. Thanks for the response.

Not sure how I can get around the nuisance smoke issue. Has anyone else encountered this and done anything to help minimize?

Thx

Ken524 06-23-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdibratt (Post 35655)
Not sure how I can get around the nuisance smoke issue. Has anyone else encountered this and done anything to help minimize?

Dry, well seasoned firewood makes a big difference. That will go a long way in cutting down the smoke. Also, the "Top Down" fire-starting method is supposed to have very little smoke.

Here's a link to Top Down starting.
Top down

There are also a few threads about it here on FB.

asudavew 06-23-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken524 (Post 35658)
Dry, well seasoned firewood makes a big difference. That will go a long way in cutting down the smoke. Also, the "Top Down" fire-starting method is supposed to have very little smoke.

Here's a link to Top Down starting.
Top down

There are also a few threads about it here on FB.

Definitely use well seasoned wood.

As for the top down method.. I just can't seem to make it work.

I don't know why.:rolleyes:

Ken524 06-23-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asudavew (Post 35669)
As for the top down method.. I just can't seem to make it work.

I sort of gave up on it too... I just throw in a few big logs, some kindling and 2 "fatwood" sticks and I have a roaring fire in 15 minutes.

DrakeRemoray 06-23-2008 01:41 PM

Top down is working for me, but I think of it as front to back. I put big logs in the back (3 or 4) then some smaller wood, then some very small wood and newspaper under it all...

Mine smokes for 15 minutes max.

I have my neighbors trained like Pavlov's dogs...they smell the smoke and they start drooling...

n2iko 06-23-2008 03:06 PM

If you have a decent height chimney and position/site the oven with respect to the prevailing winds the smoke is shifted above living spaces. Neighbors don't mind the Italian style BBQ I have here and my nearest is 38 feet.

--mr.jim